Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 11-22-2002, 11:48 AM   #81
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Never ceases

The U.S. has been getting cleaner. Do you want to die of a heart attack at 75 or of the plague at 30? Do you want horse***** in the streets or municipal waste treatment plants?

Our water, air and soil are cleaner now then they ever have been and are only improving. It's one of the beautiful byproducts of the free-market. All of life's needs are met handily, so people can spend time worrying about a clean environment.

KPaul, you should really proofread your words before posting. Not only are the thoughts inane, but the grammar is poor.

That would be an ad hominem attack, JB.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2002, 12:06 PM   #82
flying_hun
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA takes the Detroit Line on Emissions

Thank you for so selflessly taking the time to eliminate my misconceptions. You raise a point that still confuses me, and perhaps you can provide some guidance. Do you mean that all PhD's are infallible, or is that limited to UofC PhD's, or only Sowell?

"... dolt with a keyboard"? Wow, the level of debate has risen to dizzying heights for someone of my obviously limited intellect. I'll have to commit that one to memory for the next time someone dares to question me. Unless of course, like you, they are my superior in every way....
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:10 PM   #83
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default AMA/NRA

I think you make a good comparison (AMA and NRA) -- each is essentially the only major organization representing member's interests. Both seem to occassionally stake out positions more extreme than that of many of their members.

I am a motorcycle and a gun enthusiast and am an AMA member but not an NRA member -- in part because I am MORE of a bike than a gun enthusiast and partially because my perceptions are that the NRA's positions are frequently just too far away from mine.

My real concern with both organizations is pragmatic, rather than ideological. I think both tend to focus too much attention and resources on marginal issues, where 1) most of the members would not really benefit even if they were successful, 2) where many members or prospective members do not agree with their positions and 3) where they are clearly fighting a battle that they cannot win.

I would rather see both organizations focus more on selling the general public on the viewpoints of their constituents -- for example, educating car drivers to watch for motorcyclists, safety education etc, and to selectively lobby for reasonable and appropriate regulation, rather than fighting a losing battle against all regulation impacting their interests.

Both organizations do, in fact, a lot of those things, but that is not what gets in the press, and is not what the general population knows about them.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:25 PM   #84
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Another reason why I shouldn't renew my membership.

All that education and you still can't spell. You have made the "helment" error before, so I doubt there was a big hurry there. No, you don't use CS courses to inflate you GPA. I could post some data structures here you couldn't figure out in a million years. Not even in the same ballpark. You aren't a programmer and could never be because you actually have to spell things correctly. I am also a retired fierfighter with 20+ years of service and have a full pension as well as making quite a fine paycheck programming. If you want to bet on the more money thing I would take that bet any day. Let me know how you want to work out the bet.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #85
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Ha ha

Yes you can! Motorcycles are a good deal. Lets keep the EPA off our a$$ and keep it that way shall we?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:27 PM   #86
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: KPaul is right!

No, actually not enough now!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:36 PM   #87
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Check these out Shaun!

Fastest muscle cars made:

1. '66 AC COBRA 427 ET=12.2@118mph

2. '66 CORVETTE 427 ET=12.8@112

3. '69Roadrunner440 "SixPack"ET=12.91@111.8

4. '70 Hemi Cuda ET=13.10@107

5. '70 CHEVELLE SS 454 ET=13.12@107

6. '68 CORVETTE ET=13.3@108

7. '70 Roadrunner 426 Hemi ET=13.34@107.5

8. '70 BUICK GS 455 ET=13.38@105.5

9. '69 Charger 500 ET=13.48@109

10. '73 Trans Am ET=13.54@104.3

Not bad numbers for old tech. Heck you could get an SS Impala in 66 that would run close to these numbers! Notice nothing after 73. 74 was the gas embargo and they couldn't give these cars away. These were then street legal cars that could easily be made to run faster without much help or BS EPA restrictions. After catalytic converters, air pumps, no-lead gas it's back to $60 grand to get anwhere near this performace.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #88
rsheidler
Founding Member

True. If business was always able to pass on costs to the consumer, there would be no reason for corporations to pay millions lobbying against legislation which would increase their costs.

Certainly, business will generally attempt to pass on such costs, but it may not be possible, or desirable, to do so.

Hypothetical example #1:

If the US government imposed new regulation on the gold mining/refining industry that adds $5 per ounce to the production cost of gold, the effect on the price of gold would be negligible because most of the supply in the marketplace is not impacted. Some US production would stop, because it would no longer be economically viable, but prices would be impacted little, if at all.

Example #2:

The government imposes a 25% tax on motorcycles with more than 100hp. Adding this to the purchase price would obviously result in far fewer high performance motorcycles being sold. Faced with such a loss of sales volume, and the resulting inventory glut, the companies MIGHT find that absorbing part of that cost, in exchange for regaining some of the lost sales volume, will result in higher profits.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #89
drandall
Founding Member

Default Re: Never ceases

Less pollution is a great step (other sources say we're only slowing down the increase in pollution). Let's get rid of as much as possible.

Pollution controls on motorcycles -- and all engines -- are such an easy step. The new Dodge Viper makes 500hp and meets all pollution laws. The new VFR works as well or better than any carburetted bike, and meets 2008 CARB specs. The power of the Federal vs. California ZXR1200 is virtually identical (the muffler's a few pounds more), so why is everyone worrying about the controls? Detroit should be working to beat Honda at their own game, instead of sitting on their fat-asses making crap.

Detroit doesnÂ’t want to have to actually work for their money, they just want to put new fenders on a twenty-five year old car and call it new; the 2003 Mustang still based on the '78 LTD Fox platform -- there's American ingenuity for you! American-made used to be the best. America used to design and make the best; what happened?

Want a non-polluting two-wheeler to work-on? Get a bicycle.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #90
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Both of you go stand in the corner.