Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 11-21-2002, 05:01 PM   #21
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA takes the Detroit Line on Emissions

Booo, AMA. Even though bikes pollute less than cars just based on the mileage, that's no reason we can't do our part. The technology is obviously there, look at the GL1800. Meets 2008 and ROMPS.

And how would reducing emissions "compromise the safety of riders"? If any manufactuer is stupid enough to mount a CC where it can burn someone, it's not the EPA's fault.

The argument about this making motorcycling too expensive for beginners is also very weak. You can get a CX500 that runs like a top for less than a grand if you look around. Why so many beginner motorcyclists buy new is beyond me. What this may do is reduce the number of beginner bikes models available, but I doubt it will make them more expensive.

Looks like the AMA is too worried about keeping everyone happy. The "big tent" AMA. Wasting political capital on fighting emissions and helmet laws. If I didn't race motocross (yes, on my dirty two-smoke, I'm a hypocrite, I'll be on a CRF450 when I can scrape together $4k for a nice used model, so be quiet) I doubt I'd be a member.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2002, 06:08 PM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Yeah, we all know that sportbike guys never modify their exhausts.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:29 PM   #23
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Another reason why I shouldn't renew my membership.

First the idiot helment thing now this. The AMA has ***** for brains. They should be working on protecting motorcyclist by lobbying for stiffer penalities for cage drivers causing the deaths of motorcyclist. This really lowers their credibility. If I was president of the AMA I would take the opposite approach. Promote motorcycles as a clean alternative to traffic problems and energy conservation. To do that you must support clean air standards. Honda has no problem meeting these standards. I suspect ShortHop's (longride) Harley brothers are behind this. If it wasn't that for the chance of winning free motorcycle cycle I wouldn't sign up again. Dumb ass AMA. They make us all look like trailer trash idiots who won't wear helments and want to trash the environment.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

SeraSuzy you are right about passing on the cost but I am sure that [b] innovative engineers at Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki will have no problem building clean machine only Harley will have trouble making it
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #25
12er
Founding Member

Honestly what makes more noise in your neighborhood, a race piped sportbike or a drag piped cruiser?

Most sportbikes arent offensively loud till above 6k rpm. Add in tall gearing and if they do romp on it they are about 3 blocks away within a few seconds.

Cruisers (changed from harleys as the metrics around here are getting pretty d@mn loud to) are low geared, normally take a hell awakening blip on each downshift. Then a couple blips while looking each way at a stop sign and finally roar off shifting two or more times within your block.

Now a piped Ducati (or other performance twin) is right in the middle. Louder than hell but still high enough geared to get away quickly.

Granted it seems the majority of sportbikers add a pipe, but I do see a good number running stock. Now when a quiet cruiser goes by I take notice, its so few and far between they do stand out. Ive seen / heard about 2 in the last six months or more.

Cruisers seem to be making noise for the sake of making noise, not for the performance. If someone is honestly interested in performance they wouldnt be on a cruiser. Then again I was laughing out loud today when I left work. There is an R1 with a pipe and carbon fiber all over it with about a 2 inch chicken strip on each side of the tires. I thought they were new tires at first but now its been a couple months and nothing has changed. Can you say squid?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:26 PM   #26
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

Hey, it's nighttime. This whole emissions thing is depressing.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:02 AM   #27
fizzchem
Founding Member

OMG, please read Thomas Sowell's book "Basic Economics".
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:20 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Another reason why I shouldn't renew my membership.

Maybe I look like a "trailer trash idiot", but I can spell "helmet" correctly. Probably most of my "Harley brothers" can also. That is why as a demographic we are better educated and make more money than you. We can also lobby effectively and think clearly, while not looking like morons in the process. If you want to use my name in a post, be sure it meets my standards, else I will easily prove who really has the shyt for brains.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:52 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The real point, is motorcycles are a drop in the emissions bucket. Insignificant to the pollution that is tossed in daily by cars, SUV's and horribly smoking trucks and trains and busses. Since it really isn't a solution to a much bigger problem, why have it? Because they can. I am sure the AMA is telling them that they have bigger fish to fry than the motorcycle industry. The AMA certainly has to use all the tools at their disposal to make their case, and you say these sound foolish. It's no more foolish than charging a guy with 15 felony counts when he punches someone in the nose. They will allow 14 to get tossed to get one to stick. If you charge him with 1 and it gets tossed then he walks. Number of arguments can win in Washington, not just the best ones. Just as the gun lobby protects their rights in a steadfast manner, so should we. Some of the gun lobby stances look foolish on paper, but in reality they know where the end game lies. Regulate guns out of existance. All you saying how the Japanese can meet these standards easily, is funny. Already the bikes are jetted so lean that most of them run like crap out of the factory. Maybe when KPaul gets a ticket for rejetting his carbs or using a Power Commander to get his bike to run correctly will he then squeal like a pig. The Japanese couldn't save the 2 stroke from extinction, and the day will come soon when they have to significantly reduce performance to reach standards that will be in effect. That's the end game folks. Only then will KPaul get his head out of his a$$ and start crying about it, but alas, much too late. These standards aren't the end game, but just a step closer to it. If the EPA can prove that motorcycles are a significant problem, I would be all for it. Since we know they aren't, it's just more another useless regulation. It's not as if we don't have enough of those already.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:08 AM   #30
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: Another reason why I shouldn't renew my membership.

That is why as a demographic we are better educated and make more money than you.

Woo Hoo! Break out the elitism cannons! We're richer and therefore better! MONEY=PERSONAL WORTH. That's the spirit, Longride ol' chum.

Sincerely,

Jeff Skilling

Fomer CEO Enron Corp.
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote