Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 11-22-2002, 02:49 PM   #111
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default KPaulCook vs Longride in Pay-per-view cage match

I'd pay to see it..
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2002, 03:05 PM   #112
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: one Environment. why burn it?

Maybe you are too young to remember the air quality in the LA basin 35 years ago, about the time when real attempts to clean up auto emmissions were first instituted. I DO remember, and as bad as it sometimes gets still, I cannot complain about the smog checks etc that helped product that improvement. Without these standards, LA air would likely be about like that of Mexico City. For anyone who complains about having to meet our standards, I suggest a visit.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #113
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA takes the Detroit Line on Emissions

You're right, it's alot easier to quiet a 4 cyl. than a V or L twin, I run about 1500 rpm in 5th through the neighborhood and the bike just fluffs along, above 6-7k out in the Pass's or on the freeway it howls like a scalded cat, and that's the 17" street can, with the airbox snorkle removed. Holeshot makes a 14" race can also, but I think you'd need a seriouse attitude problem to run that on the street, It'd be a shame to restrict your 900 to track only, as I've read it's the most useably street-sport Ducati makes.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:46 PM   #114
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Check these out Shaun!

I gotta say those numbers look pretty optimistic. A buddy of mine has a '68 camaro that he has put at least $25k into, and has over 500hp, and an aftermarket torque converter (locks at 3500 rpm), and he only claims a 12.5s 1/4 mile. Plus, there is way more to being a sport car than straight line acceleration. And there is no doubt today's cars handle and brake better.

History does repeat itself. Look at how far behind Detroit has already fallen in developing hybrid vehicles. They're spending their money lobbying congress to keep them from making our vehicles more efficent, instead of putting it into developing technology. Honda and Toyota are leading the way, once again.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:08 PM   #115
grover750
Founding Member

Default Be Careful....

Are you saying a government program made life better? Don't you know that the free market would have cleaned up the LA basin much quicker than government regulations ever did?

You could all of the people below (the ones blathering on about how the EPA is run by bin Laden, etc) and transport them back in time, they would have been against every government regulation that has ever been made. Seat belts? Air bags? Crash tests? Rollover ratings? All regulations that have made us safer, while not effecting our quality of life one bit. Are you more free in a deathtrap?

All you slippery slope belivers out there (calling all NRA members!), can someone answer me this: Three wheelers were deemed dangerous and outlawed. Banned. Done. How is it possible that four wheelers are still available (actually incredibly popular), what, 15 years later? Shouldn't they have been outlawed too? Is it possible that our elected officials DIDN'T go down the slippery slope? Is it possible that they could see the difference between a quad and a three wheeler, and outlawed one but not the other, because they are people like you and me with common sense? Someone please, please explain to me why four wheelers are still legal.

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 03:02 AM   #116
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The current leader of the EPA would say you are wrong.

Bureaucracy always grows to encompass all within reach. Remember the EEO's attempt to introduce workplace rules that would ban people wearing religious symbols or bibles in the workplace? Unless there is someone paying attention and alerting people of these idiot ideas then these ideas will pass.

When Whitman is gone the same career wacko bureaucrats will still be there to carry out their personal poltical agendas.

Its not conspiracy. Anyone who's worked for the govt knows that they are smart enough to do any real planning. Its just human nature. Or haven't you seen the homeland Security Act?
Old 11-23-2002, 03:06 AM   #117
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: That Sounds Like Utah

Currently I live in Sandy. I moved from Los Angeles (where I was born) in 1982 to escape that State's growing assault on personal freedom.

Now I can camp and fish and plink and ride to my heart's content. I don't miss L.A. and its stinking freeways one little bit.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:47 AM   #118
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Be Careful....

Someone please, please explain to me why four wheelers are still legal.

Cause the media hasn't gone after them, yet. Just look at the sheeple blathering about SUVs. The only reason they are screaming about SUVs is propaganda. There's no reason to be any more p.o.ed about an SUV than there is over a pick-up truck or a nosecandy-snorting-trucker controlled big rig. Yet look at all the vitriol over SUVs.

It's media driven and the lemmings listen. Our legislators have shown little backbone when confronted with media driven hysteria, especially when it's "for the children".

And if you've been paying attention you should have figured out that it is very dangerous to let bureaucracies operate without a lot of watchdogging.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:52 AM   #119
discostu47
Founding Member

Default Re: Selective Memory

Alright here are the actual facts:

1970 Camaro Z28 with 375hp Turbo Jet 396 did 0-60 in a tad over 6 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.2 at 100mph (per Car & Driver) with an MSRP of $4,300.

1999 Honda Civic Si with the VTEC i4 putting out 160hp, bone stock does 0-60 in 7.2 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 15.7 seconds with an MSRP of $17,860.

Using a calculator to adjust for inflation (http://www.cjr.org/resources/inflater.asp), $4,300 is $20,000 today. So with $2,000 I can guarantee that I can make mods (NOS, Supercharger or a small Turbo) that will easily equal the Z28's numbers.

SO if $20,000 is a lot of money, then a Z28 was a lot of money is 1970. If a Honda Civic Si isn't fast (with mods) isn't fast then neither is your Z28.

Can someone build a 442 or a civic for $20,000 today that will perform? Undoubtibly. But the point I made originally is that:

A-The cars built today are more reliable, handle better, stop better, and may not be as fast in a straight line certain can be brought up to that level.

B-You can work on new vehicles. Granted, it takes new skills and new tools, but over any period of time with any sort of technology that's going to be the case.

But I guess facts aren't necessary to make any sort of argument for you.
discostu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:06 AM   #120
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: KPaulCook vs Longride in Pay-per-view cage match

longride vs. Kpaul

shorthop vs spike

old fart vs. young buck

gray pony tail vs. still has hair

can't get it up vs. can't get enough

old tech vs new tech

V twin vs Inline 4

always get the facts wrong * vs has all the facts

midwest vs west coast

sausage vs salmon

ugly Chicago vs beautiful Seattle

thinks he can write vs. knows he can't

Harley vs Kawasaki

helmet vs helment

coder vs engineer

leather vs kevlar.

no contest KPaul wins. better throw Serasuzy into the cage to help shorthop (longride).

* see 60s muscle car discussion with Sean Alexander for laughs

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote