Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 11-22-2002, 02:04 PM   #101
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Check these out Shaun!

I believe those are manufacturers or 60s magazine type numbers. Aside from the Cobras, when those cars are tested today, with modern testing methods and equipment, in STOCK configuration, they seldom break 15 seconds. That Buick GS 455 in particular looks quite dubious to me. I believe actual net output for that motor was in the neighborhood of 270 H.P. pushing 4,200Lb. with less that stellar traction. All of those cars (aside from the Cobras) were afflicted with the manufacturer's "Gross" HP #s, heavy weight and terrible grip.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2002, 02:30 PM   #102
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA takes the Detroit Line on Emissions

Absolutely right in the long run -- I was specifically referring to the existing inventory in the pipeline.

Probably they would do what many did in the Euro market (where there was a "voluntary" 100 hp cap) -- put an easily removed restricter in the intake manifold. OK, some manufacturers actually retuned the liter-bikes for more midrange within the 100 limit, but most just went with the restrictor.

Re exhausts -- I think that it is easier to quell the sound, while maintaining good breathing, on a four than a big twin. I know that there are at least several systems (Yoshi makes one) for 4s that are pretty quiet as long as you keep the revs down and don't get all the way into the throttle. My sister has one on her bandit (I think it might be a Holeshot as well) that is pretty reasonable if you are careful.

On my Duc 900SS, with open airbox and Micron slip-on, the sound level was marginal at best, for conjested areas, even with a careful throttle hand. It was loud enough that when I left my condo complex for an early Sunday morning ride, I ususally would push it out of the complex and coast a ways down the hill before starting it up -- better to pi$$ off people I don't have to live next door to!

Now that I have a have a full race system, it is really far too loud for any populated area. I don't want to go back to the stock system, not only because of the power restriction, but because of cornering clearance on the track -- I almost wore through the pipe on both sides in a day at Pahrump (a test track in Nevada). The race pipe is larger diameter than stock, so I can't just fit any old slip on, gotta find one that fits or can be modified to fit, or I might try repacking the race can to see it I can quiet it some. Either than that or just use the bike on the track.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:00 PM   #103
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Default Re: one Environment. why burn it?

Exactly!! The EPA is probably the most insideous agency going at this point, and Mr. Tree Hugger is oh-so-happy to fall into line.

Anyone rememeber $6 smog checks in CA, where all you had was a hose running from the manifold to the air cleaner? We were told at that time, that was the "end" of emissions installations. Well, just look at it now.......!
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:02 PM   #104
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You are correct sir

shorthop's facts are dubious at best. The fastest new production Corvette makes the quarter mile in 13 seconds right. llongride is saying that my Dad's old Camaro would do that . My dad would say you would be dreamin. My Dad says don't believe these old farts that the old muscle cars were better. He likes his Z4 better than anything produced back then. Muscle cars were good as long as you didn't have to turn. Kind of like Harley's
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:09 PM   #105
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Default Re: We must take a stand to save our planet

Oh, it's always "the chil-l-l-l-dren, isn't it? Typical tree-hugging garbage!

Wait until they come into your backyard and haul away your mower & bar-b-que, handing you a $100 ticket while they leave. The EPA will never quit, and it's types such as you who sheepisly walk along in lockstep beside them carrying the EPA flag, that's making this country one helluva a dictator state.
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:09 PM   #106
rsheidler
Founding Member

For what it is worth, even 8-10 years ago, Harleys were able to comply with the very tough Swiss standard -- using catalytic convertors. The Swiss standard for noise levels is also very strict, so these things were strangled down to something like 30 hp, if I recall.

Of course, Harley riders being what they are, regardless of nationality, very few of those stock pipes with cats stayed on, except for the annual inspection or course!

In the 5 years I lived there, the only other frequently modified bikes I saw were the 125 gp replicas that had different licensing standards (you had to do one year on the 125 before being eligible to apply for a regular license). These things had cats for pollution control and were by law restricted to, I think, 14 hp, while the French and Italian versions had far more. People (mostly young kids) would run across the border and buy the unrestricted parts, then swap back to stock for the inspection.

I honestly don't think that anyone is going to have that much difficulty complying with the new standards -- at least not those using efi -- as the technology is pretty well known. The new models (eg the Duc 999) are already designed and built to comply.

Old 11-22-2002, 03:16 PM   #107
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Finally an articulate voice of reason in this thread

Excellent Post. I too was an NRA member until Columbine. I use to live close to that high school. The NRA is way to radical for me. My Dad said in the old days they promoted gun safety and helped get many of the state run hunter safety programs started. Now they are out of control. Your third paragraph was an excellent explanation of the situation. Thanks for sharing your intelligence.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:20 PM   #108
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Another reason why I shouldn't renew my membership.

http://news.motorcycle.com/comments....=&thold=#42996
Old 11-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #109
KPaulCook
Banned

You should read this and learn:

http://news.motorcycle.com/comments....=&thold=#42996
Old 11-22-2002, 03:37 PM   #110
rsheidler
Founding Member

"nighttime....emmissions" -- are we talking about nocturnal emmissions here? Must be referring to the article a few days ago where Bree was modeling riding suits!