Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Godzilla

Old 11-22-2002, 01:12 PM   #91
blackburd
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA takes the Detroit Line on Emissions

In 1969, I purchased a 1968 375 HP Limited edition SS-396 Camaro. (It came with aluminum heads from the factory). I have been told that the factory only built around 50 or so of these. It was loud and fast, but it handled like crap (no power steering or brakes) and never got better than 12 MPG no matter easy how I drove it. It also had an unfortunate tendancy to spin rod bearings which would ruin the crankshaft. (You can't rework a forged tuff-trided crank). Yes, the average person could work on it himself, and that was good, because I spent most of my free time doing just that. The last Camaro I owned was a 93. It would outperform the SS-396 everywhere (including the 1/4 mile). Not only that, it had power everything, air conditioning and a great sound system. It would get 25-28 MPG on the Hiway, and I never had to work on it.. Yeah, I sure miss the good old muscle cars.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2002, 01:14 PM   #92
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent post

You make some great points.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:20 PM   #93
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Never ceases shorthop fuzzcom.

inane ???? Your grammar has problems. Just attack the person not idea. Typical spew.

"The U.S. has been getting cleaner. Do you want to die of a heart attack at 75 or of the plague at 30? Do you want horse***** in the streets or municipal waste treatment plants? "

What the hell is the point you are trying to make. Seems like you need some college english class to teach you how to organize your thoughts. I think you are copying longride too much. He attacks my grammar but my wife who has degrees in journalism and english says mine is bad but longrides is worse.

Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #94
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Another reason why I shouldn't renew my membership.

My wife who has degrees in English and Journalism is looking at your posts for grammar and spelling errors. Although I am bad she says you are worse. Since you continue to make attacks about the way I deliver the message and not the message itself. We (my wife and I) will collect all of your errors in one post.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #95
KPaulCook
Banned

CS is easy syntax stuff how about a LaPlace transform or did you get that far in differential equations. Data Structures was cake walk compared to my Fields, Electonics and Analog Design classes in Electrical Engineering. Wow trees and linked lists child's play. Give me a break coder. Give me your best shot coder. Attack the idea not the person. This shows me when you are desperate in an agruement you always attack the person. A weakness in character I am afraid.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #96
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default That Sounds Like Utah

Don't think I have ever been someplace where big industry had such influence over the government. Still, I'd have to say it is among the best places I have ever lived, and one of the best for motorcycling as well.

I assume that the impacted industries have passed the lower costs of pollution compliance on to their customers. I will be watching for the credit on my Utah Power bill next month

Where are you in Utah? I was in Park City for about 7 years, and still own a condo there. Waiting for a few more runs to open up at Park City Mountain Resort, and I'll be back.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #97
KPaulCook
Banned

By the way I have C, C++ , Ada and Java experience. From large scale business systems to embedded real-time aircraft systems. Jerk.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:40 PM   #98
sarnali
Founding Member

RE; example #2, No they wouldn't pass anything onto or absorb any costs themselves, they would restrict the cams, or timing or carbs, or whatever to produce 99.9 Hp bikes, just like they did in the '80's with Reagan and Harley's displacment tariff, thats how the 600 class got such a jump start, and why there are 700cc intercepters and sabres from that period, Now if you children are through waving diploma's at each other we can get back to the issue's at hand, Also,,, I have a Holeshot street can on my Bandit thats pretty loud at higher RPM's my solution for that is to short-shift and keep the R's low in the neighborhood, Problem solved {without a degree}
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #99
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Diesel Emissions

Europe is alot more in tune with diesel as a viable option on cars, my reletives all live in England and all have diesel cars from Skoda's [VW] to Range Rover's. Diesel engine's are available on just about any car you can buy, with fuel availabel at every service station, I think high grade diesel should be pushed here just as aggressivly, that would increase CAFE's and make SUV's at least marginally efficient.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #100
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

My 99 911 (996) EASILY passed CA emissions, in 1999 when I brought it here from Florida and remained street legal up to the day that I sold it. But your point is well taken, it isn't fair to include a car of that expense, when comparing modern cars to "muscle" cars. However, bone stock and emissions legal, my 96 LT-4 Corvette would DOMINATE any readily available street legal car from the 1960's I paid the princely sum of $31,400 for that car, brand new from the dealer's lot, in 1996.

How about your garden variety bone stock, street legal 2003 4.6L Mustang? or Subaru Imprezza WRX, or even Nissan Altima? They will all blow away 95% of the "muscle" cars from the sixties. Furthermore, when the real world shows up at the end of the drag strip and you have to maintain a competitive pace around curves, through transitions, on the brakes, etc, they will all disappear off into the distance. Can you name the non-racing, easily attainable cars (not your ZL-1s, Yenkos, Z06s, 427 Cobras etc.) from the 1960s that could honestly do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, and stay within 5 seconds a lap of a Honda S-2000 on the average road course? It is a VERY VERY short list (in fact, I can’t even think of one). Today the list of readily available, reasonably affordable sub 7 second cars is long, diverse and even includes a couple of front drive econo boxes. TODAY, yes TODAY this modern, emissions regulated, age of techno wizardry... TODAY is the golden age of the performance car. Argue it all you want, but I think you'll find that you are pretty lonely on your side of the argument.