Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Classifieds > Gear For Sale / Wanted

Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
bluesinorbit
Registered Member

Default Need recommendation on Gear

Hi all,

I'm a first-time rider. I need a versatile jacket that will work well for South California weather. From the postcards, you'd think it's warm and sunny all year around, but I can't remember the last time it hadn't rained at least once within a week. Motorcycle will be my only form of transportation from and to work six days a week. I'm almost certain that I'll be getting a pre-2008 Ninja 250R, if that matters at all except stylistically. It's around 15 miles to get to work on surface street.

In my research, I gathered that I need a jacket that is;

light-colored with reflective parts(Black is cool, but I'd rather be seen.)

waterproof and vented when needed

made for warm CA weather(I think I can get away with layers underneath during the three-months of cold. Correct me if this is a bad idea.)

Armored (With no experience, I don't understand all the mumbo-jumbo, but I won't pass up any safety feature for a bit of comfort.)

Thanks for any help and happy holidays.

Last edited by bluesinorbit : 12-26-2010 at 12:29 PM.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
Motorcycle will be my only form of transportation from and to work six days a week.
Good choice for a first bike.

I like a mesh, textile jacket with partial armor and an attachable inner liner for cool and damp days.....but not necessarily real rain. That will probably require a rain suit.

BUT......in my 40+ years of riding, I have come across scant few riders who have used a bike as their primary (only) transportation for very long. Even those in the desert southwest find that the rare cold snap or dust storm requires an alternate. Elsewhere, a cold damp rain usually "dampens" their resolve.

If you can only afford one vehicle, I recommend that you get some kind of a cage first and a bike later. How are you getting to work now ??
Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
bluesinorbit
Registered Member

Thank you. I had my eyes on some sweet cruisers, but after all the reading, decided that a lighter, agile sport bike is the safest way to go for a total beginner like myself.

I've been looking at jackets since I started the thread, and I really like the Tourmaster textile jackets priced around $160-$180. Other brands seem to offer competitive products but Tourmaster doesn't make up names for features like "E-Z Ventz" or such. That makes me feel safer for some reason.

Funds are my biggest issue. I have no credit and my girlfriend signed for a car for me couple weeks ago. It turned out to be a spot delivery scam and we returned the car to the dealership. She was burnt so bad by the experience that loan of any kind is no longer an option. I have little to nothing saved and no mechanical knowledge to take on any $3k car off the lot.

I used buses last week and will continue to do so until I get the motorcycle. At work, I have the company van to do anything that I can't do with the motorcycle. At home, my girlfriend has a car and she's always around. I manage three restaurants in Huntington Beach/Seal Beach area, and all I need the motorcycle to do is go between the restaurants and home and quick runs to the bank.

Motorcycle seems like the most practical solution. Cars... maybe in a year or two.

Last edited by bluesinorbit : 12-26-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Motorcycle seems like the most practical solution. Cars... maybe in a year or two.
Good luck. I hope it works out OK for you.

A good quality MESH jacket with liner can be had for about half the price you quoted.

In the heat of a So. Cal summer I think you'll appreciate the "total vent" of a mesh.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Patrycja
Registered Member

Welcome to the bikers world

Last edited by Patrycja : 12-27-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Patrycja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Patrycja
Registered Member

Thumbs up Congrats!!!

Congrats!

I switched to a bike-only commute about a month ago, and absolutely love it I think it's just so much more fun than driving a car, especially if you're getting a sport bike.

I don't know much about the Tourmaster jackets, but I got all my gear from Alpinestars, including textile, black&white jacket with reflective strips, and it works great for me. My boyfriend has just gotten Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket, also textile and he's very happy with it as well. I think that Kilimanjaro has the liner which you can wear as a jacket in itself for the warmer days and I know it's a quality thing.

As for the colors, interestingly enough, you don't really find that many 'flashy' colors for the gear, even in women's clothing. Seems like the most popular is grey, black and white unless you do the cross. I was little concerned about that because I am a beginner too and wanna be seen, but actually with reflective stripes, you're pretty well seen and if you have some white or light grey, it should do the job.

One thing to consider... I don't know if you've taken any riding course, but even with a Ninja 250, you might want to remember that riding in the rain, might be quite a challenge. Just a thing to consider.

Anyhow, bike is a great idea ALWAYS It's sooo much fun!

Good luck!

p.s. Remember about a tank bag - very useful!
Patrycja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
bluesinorbit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
A good quality MESH jacket with liner can be had for about half the price you quoted.
Pray tell where you would find these jackets. Used?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Pray tell where you would find these jackets. Used?
Shop around.
I got mine from a local dealer.
Paid about $85, IIRC.
It is made by Power-Trip.
[edit] Looks like prices went up. It's $149 now.
When one is broke, you don't shop for "top of the line" gear.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 12-27-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

This is the time of the year when many Dealers are closing-out stock sitting on their floor. Don't "settle" for something that doesn't fit JUST to get a good deal, though.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

BiO,

Look for an 'obsolete' Joe Rocket "Phoenix" jacket. I think they are up to a Version 6 now. So the earlier versions can be had cheap. Like $80-ish. They come with a water 'proof' liner, and are completely mesh.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote