Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Ducati

Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
matt100018
Registered Member

Smile Any Ideas? ;Ducati

Hi guys, hows its all going for you?

I really need a hand with something. My dad owns a bike store and he has two bikes which I can choose from for myself. One is a Ducati 848 and the other is a MV Agusta F4 (not sure what year, but it has 1000cc and black exhaust tips).

I haven't been riding for very long at all and I would like to know the following about both bikes:

1. Which will be a more civilized tool; i.e. which will be better to live with everyday?

2. Which bike will be easier to learn on (yes I know they both have way over 800cc, but still I wouldn't mind your opinion on this!).

3. Which of these two bikes can carry a passenger (I actually haven't seen the bikes yet because they are on order and have not arrived yet.).

I can still practice on other bikes but I was just wondering out of these two bikes which is the better (probably a hard question, sorry guys.).

Thanks for all your help and for reading this long post by me!

Thanks!

P.S.: I think the Ducati 848 looks better overall than the MV Agusta but I love the quad-pipes on the MV Agusta - so I'm torn on the looks! ahhhh! hahaha

EDIT:

Hey guys just one very very last thing I got to ask you all, need to ask you! Can you put the MV Agusta F4's exhaust pipes on a Ducati 848? Could it be done?

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by matt100018 : 09-23-2008 at 03:15 AM.
matt100018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I suggest we arrange a personalized training session for you. We'll do our work on both bikes, and that will give you plenty of time to decide which you prefer. Just let me know when the bikes are in.

Seriously, AFTER you learn to ride, take the MV Agusta. The Duc is like a Ferrari, nice, but everybody has one. The Agusta is like a Lamboghini, high-maintenance and high-strung, but a lot more exclusive and fun.

And no, you can't shove the Agusta pipes up the Duc's tail; but you can probably afford to have someone build you a custom set of pipes that will give the same effect. Don't.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
matt100018
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I suggest we arrange a personalized training session for you. We'll do our work on both bikes, and that will give you plenty of time to decide which you prefer. Just let me know when the bikes are in.

Seriously, AFTER you learn to ride, take the MV Agusta. The Duc is like a Ferrari, nice, but everybody has one. The Agusta is like a Lamboghini, high-maintenance and high-strung, but a lot more exclusive and fun.

And no, you can't shove the Agusta pipes up the Duc's tail; but you can probably afford to have someone build you a custom set of pipes that will give the same effect. Don't.
Hey man thanks so much for your response to my questions, I really appreciate it thankyou .

Also, just asking, is there any reason why fitting the MV Agusta tail pipes [aftermarket] onto a Ducati 848 would not work? And how much would custom pipes which look the same cost me?

Thanks

P.S.: The Ferrari/Lamborghini example was amazing
matt100018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt100018 View Post
Hey man thanks so much for your response to my questions, I really appreciate it thankyou .

Also, just asking, is there any reason why fitting the MV Agusta tail pipes [aftermarket] onto a Ducati 848 would not work? And how much would custom pipes which look the same cost me?

Thanks

P.S.: The Ferrari/Lamborghini example was amazing
Exhaust systems are highly tuned devices that are designed after many hours of engineering by professionals. Changing the exhaust on almost any modern bike, especially high performance bikes, will change the engine's fuel mixture end reduce performance. Yes I know louder pipes are very popular but 99% of those guys you see with aftermarket pipes are getting less performance than stock. There are some kits that include jetting kits or injection remapping but even then the power gain is minimal at a cost of a thousand bucks or more. No one offers such for Ducati 848s anyhow.

BTW, that underseat exhaust will fry your buns.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There are two reasons why putting the Augusta pipes on the Ducati isn't practical: fitment and tuning.

Fitment just means that every pipe and joint from the engine header to the exhaust tip is designed and built to fit a specific bike. Everything from the size of the pipe to the number of pipes is carefully planned, and the shape of the bodywork, frame, and other bike components is taken into account.

Tuning refers to making the intake, heads, and exhaust all work together as a unit. Did you know that a well tuned exhaust helps the engine suck more fuel and air into the cylinder? Because the exhaust systems are so carefully engineered by the factory, you'll read a lot of sarcastic comments when we see posts about sawing off a muffler or drilling out the baffles.

Anything is possible, a skilled craftsman with cutters, pipe benders, welders, etc. could take that MV exhaust and make it work on the Ducati. But, is it worth it? Ducati has an excellent set of performance pipes they sell from Termignoni. I doubt anyone could improve on what MV puts on their bikes from the factory, but I may be wrong.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Matt,

Assuming you are not posting just to 'have us on,' as the Brits would say, the short answer is: Neither bike.

The 848 is an amazing machine, but it is at the very top end of supersport, and will kill you in any gear. It might hurt you when it's in Neutral.

The F4 is just as high-strung. Plus, if the the 848 was hamburger, the F4 would be steak. Your Dad would have your @ss if you got a gravel ding on it. Everything about a M/V is measured in cubic dollars.

Oh, both of them are supposed to be extremely uncomfortable. The 848 only a little less so than the F4.

To sum up, I wish I had your problems...

My advice: Get a little Monster until you are less of a hazard to yourself and everyone else on the street. Once you have ridden a year or two, then go for the landspear.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Man, I'am getting a visual picture in my mind and just to cut to the chase, it involves your father buying a new bike for you. Both bikes are above the norm. And not begginer bikes.
Imo, I would get something cheaper to learn on for at least 2yrs before you go throwing your leg over one of those. Course if your father has the money and doesnt mind ordering or fixing your body work all the time,...go for it.

Man you guys are so unpredictable, most times castrating someone for even thinking they can start out on anything bigger than a 500cc? What gives?

Start small no matter how much money your daddy has, you'll be a better rider once you have the skill to fill the shoes of said bikes.

Your question about the pipes makes me wonder about your safty when learning to ride these bikes,...good luck?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 09-23-2008 at 06:43 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Man you guys are so unpredictable, most times castrating someone for even thinking they can start out on anything bigger than a 500cc? What gives?
Hey, did I not offer the guy personalized riding lessons? And if that weren't enough, did I not say "after you've learned to ride..."

Safety first, that's my motto. Except when it's really just too darn hot to wear a helmet.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
12er
Founding Member

Now why wont an in line 4 exhaust fit on a v-twin machine again? Sorry but this question alone should place you in the ranks of a Moped as your first bike. You have way too much to learn to learn it on an exotic blindingly fast machine. Get a ninja 250 and learn everything you can, then move up. Otherwise Daddy better have one hell of a health insurance policy on you, and deep pockets to pay for the damage.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote