Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 09-19-2001, 09:12 PM   #11
guzzi
Founding Member

Default Yamaha's TDM looks better...

WTF, This thing is super ugly! Designer must have been on crack or something...

"The Multistrada represents an entirely new niche,'' my ass, that's within their own model range...

After seeing this thing Yamaha's TDM doesn't look odd anymore. I wonder what the new one will look like.
guzzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2001, 10:39 PM   #12
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Multistrada

I'd like to go on record as saying that the 996/998 ain't that great looking. To me, it just looks slab-sided, antiquated, and awkward. I like what Aprilia is doing style-wise, but IMO Japan has got it all over Ducati in creating clean, beautifully-sculpted machines.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 02:22 AM   #13
cbusa
Founding Member

Sorry to disagree, you can certainly not like the 996/998, but I don't understand the Japanese comment if your talking about sportbikes.

The Japanese must make great running bikes by donating the design department's funding to the engineering department, and it shows. They must have one designer for the 4 companies. Cheesy graphics over me too body panels, (with a bit of exception going to Yamaha).

Oh, and the multistrada looks terrible in the front quarter pictures.
cbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 04:11 AM   #14
Haru
Founding Member

Default Looks disgusting

Whats with this tiered styling at the front and the back? its hideous.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 06:00 AM   #15
VFRTed
Founding Member

Default Re: Multistrada Sales of Nada

Get off the crack! Ducati must have been invaded by Aprilia Futura designers who were embarassed at having the "ugliest bike" award, so they covertly went and performed design espionage on Ducati.

Seriously, this is one of the ugliest bikes I've seen in a while. Ducati will have a hard time giving them away.

Oh yeah, one last thing--the 916/996 is for riders (albeit ones who like pain) who just want a great bike. I'm not sure it is any more of a deficiency correcting device than a VTX, H-D, or GSXR1000.
VFRTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 06:22 AM   #16
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Oh man that's bad. Now don't get me wrong, I even like old bmw K bikes but that Duc is just... well really ugly and I'm not into discussing seating positions. A 916 or GSXR1000 are really comfy at 100mph through the tight twisties while a wing is comfy on the straights - different bikes but they all have their own style. Definitely on the style front I would have expected a lot more from Ducati - a lot more.

I agree with a previous post that the 996 is not too beautiful but it's a form/function thing (original 916 defined sport bike styling - now that was an original piece) but the mh900e, the 900ss, etc are really nice looking bikes as in well styled. My comments on ugly actually refer to the 'un-cohesiveness' of the styling. It just has no lines... er, actually it has a lot of them but, I guess that's the problem.

As far as a new niche... marketing lingo for, we're catching up. I'll take a BMW R1100S, GS, or Transalp, Duke, TDM (do they make those anymore?) or whatever as those bikes have some serious style. You may not like their style but at least it's well thought out and maintained from front fender to exhaust tip.

Just my opinion - beauty is an individual thing though.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 06:28 AM   #17
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Multistrada Sales of Nada

Hey! I like the Futura!!! Cool 1980 Toyota styling

You're right about the deficiency correcting device... we've all seen folks attempting to correct deficiencies on everything from ancient cb650 customs to tricked out S&S powered slugs.

Pain? Well that depends on your age, strength and size... I like duc seating positions but I'm a smallish guy with pretty strong wrists and arms for my size (no Arnold though!!!).
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 06:36 AM   #18
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

For everyone who can't get the damnable Shockwave stuff to work, MCN has a batch of pictures up, too.

And yeah, the fairing's ugly, but God, it's not nearly the rolling crisis that everyone's reaction makes it out to be. Maybe it'll make more sense in real life, with a better grasp on proportions and things. (Besides, it's modern Euro-design; it's not that it looks good, it's that it's logical and symbolic.) Although you'd think Terblanche could come up with something other than that slavishly MV Agusta-ish headlamp.

All the same, I'm hoping I score some kind of lottery win soon, because I now find it very necessary to squirrel away an unaltered 748 (red monoposto, please) before something happens to that particular once-in-a-lifetime design, should this prove to portend some of Ducati's future styling trends.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 07:28 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

I thought it was ugly till I saw the side shots, now I know its ugly... Looks as if it was produced by Microsoft, each division working on a different portion and not talking to the others. Then at the end trying to package it in some manor that makes sense. Appears as if they failed miserably... This thing makes a GS look awesome, no small feat I may add. (personally I like the GS, but I think nobody will argue that the GS is "odd" in appearance). Someone mentioned it looked as if they took the front end of a scooter and morphed it on, I agree. Reminds me of an older Honda Elite gone wrong...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 09:01 AM   #20
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default YUUUUCKKK!

ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote