Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Ducati 2007 Sales

DUCATI NORTH AMERICA REPORTS RECORD 2007 SALES

Ducati North America is proud to announce that 2007 ended as the company’s best ever year, with retail sales passing the 10,000 mark for the first time. The arrival of ground breaking new models and a decisive victory in the 2007 Moto GP World Championship have brought an unprecedented amount of success to the Italian brand.

Total North American sales grew by 22% in 2007; up from the previous record of 8,200 bikes in 2006. This impressive growth occurred while the overall North American motorcycle market declined in 2007. In addition, Ducati North America’s unit sales have experienced significant growth over the last four years, more than doubling since 2003.

The top sellers in 2007 were the new 1098 Superbike, the Monster family, and the nostalgic Sport Classic line. Although it only arrived for the 2nd half of the year, the category-busting Hypermotard posted exceptional sales as well, totaling over 800.

“Ducatisti the world over had a lot to celebrate in 2007, with class leading new bikes and unprecedented success in Moto GP. Ducati North America is proud to be a part of the success story and we look forward to another outstanding year in 2008; starting with the arrival of the 848, 1098 R, and Desmosedici RR in the first quarter!” said Michael Lock, CEO of Ducati North America.

Ducati’s record sales in 2007 were not limited to motorcycles - the Ducati Performance Department reported an astonishing growth of 109 percent in accessory sales, and 42 percent in apparel sales. Many Ducati dealers have also made significant store improvements through Ducati’s Retail Design Program and participation in the new DNA sponsored business development program.

Last edited by longride : 01-09-2008 at 01:31 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

I predict 2008 will be another double digit rise, as well. With the 848 and the M695 coming out Ducati could really see a breakthrough in the US market place that they have never seen before. Lock has done a fine job of running US operations and Ducati would be crazy to ever let this guy get away. I'm sure Triumph is kicking itself for letting him wander off years ago.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Not sure what happened with this Ducati thing with them selling all those bikes. I heard from an expert source that the V-Twin was dead, and the V-Four was replacing it as the new standard. Something has to be wrong here! Can anyone explain this to me?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Welcome to my Secret Above-Ground Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Not sure what happened with this Ducati thing with them selling all those bikes. I heard from an expert source that the V-Twin was dead, and the V-Four was replacing it as the new standard. Something has to be wrong here! Can anyone explain this to me?
I recall getting into that V-Four discussion with KPubert those many months ago. Mr. Honda had said that the V-4 was THE solution to motorcycle engines. Certainly a meritorious source, thinks I. But then, much to my dismay, I was reading another quote from him just the other day in Motorcycle Classics. Essentially he said that Honda had to build extremely high quality motorcycles in order to meet their long term goal: selling cars in the US. Wow, was that a kick in the nutz, the whole time it was just an evil plot to inject themselves into the auto market. The upside is that in that context, Honda's activities the past few years now make perfect sense: keep the motorcycle business going as a revenue stream and make it look, feel, and stink like the car business.

BTW: anybody else seen this month's Motorcyclist mag? There's a photo of Ricky Gadsen on the cover doing a 1/4 mile on the Kawi ZX14, wearing a clown suit. I guess it must be a publicity stunt or something.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Wait a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I recall getting into that V-Four discussion with KPubert those many months ago. Mr. Honda had said that the V-4 was THE solution to motorcycle engines. Certainly a meritorious source, thinks I. But then, much to my dismay, I was reading another quote from him just the other day in Motorcycle Classics. Essentially he said that Honda had to build extremely high quality motorcycles in order to meet their long term goal: selling cars in the US. Wow, was that a kick in the nutz, the whole time it was just an evil plot to inject themselves into the auto market. The upside is that in that context, Honda's activities the past few years now make perfect sense: keep the motorcycle business going as a revenue stream and make it look, feel, and stink like the car business.

BTW: anybody else seen this month's Motorcyclist mag? There's a photo of Ricky Gadsen on the cover doing a 1/4 mile on the Kawi ZX14, wearing a clown suit. I guess it must be a publicity stunt or something.
How could Honda claim they want to sell high quality motorcycles and then give us those V-4s? They were terrible! If that was the solution to motorcycle engines then thank God we still have the problem. It took years and years to correct the worst flaws. And the electric problems were never solved. Oh wait. I get it. They already were in the auto market when they brought out those V-4s. Never mind.

V-4s will never be more than niche bikes. Too expensive to produce compared to I-4s for little performance benefit. And no performance benefit below arrest/impound/ramming speed.

Dang. It's nice to be able to say that and not have to worry about a flurry of insane responses and weird links.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
How could Honda claim they want to sell high quality motorcycles and then give us those V-4s? They were terrible!
Dang. It's nice to be able to say that and not have to worry about a flurry of insane responses and weird links.
Well crap, now I have to wind up on the same side of the fence of KPubertSquidCookster. I LOVED MY '02 VFR! That f'er was super fast at both ends of the rpm range, the kick it gave when the VTEC went into hyperdrive was a blast, it ran smooth, and I still miss it!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Well crap, now I have to wind up on the same side of the fence of KPubertSquidCookster. I LOVED MY '02 VFR! That f'er was super fast at both ends of the rpm range, the kick it gave when the VTEC went into hyperdrive was a blast, it ran smooth, and I still miss it!
I tested a VFR for MO a few years back and found it to be average at best. There was nothing really to love or hate about it, and the VTEC was just really nothing more than a noise maker at higher speeds. Fast? Did you say fast?? LOL Want to know why the Hayabusa is so poular? Becuse it is every bit as comfortable as a VFR, lighter, has 50 more horsepower, and is the same price. If you LOVED the VFR, then you would DIE FOR a Busa!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Jeez, I know that the Interceptor was a good bike.

I was talking about the early V-4s dummy. Even though the tranny and valve train problems eventually got fixed Honda was never able to overcome the cost problem. The Interceptor was very expensive even by Honda standards. Rather than lower the price of the Interceptor to compete with the SprintST Honda in typical fashion dropped it. Honda couldn't increase it to 1000cc because they would have to raise the price to about $13K to stay in character. LOL!

And the regulator problem was never solved. All it would have taken was a better heat sink. How hard is that?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And remember folks, the new model VFR will be released any day now. Any day. Or maybe next year. Or sometime between now and 2018. Oh, look, a new paint scheme.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I have to agree with Ken, my '84 1100 Sabre and my '97 VFR when they ran were absolute screamers, more fun than a pillow case full of puppies. Specially the gear drive cams on the VFR, winding that up with the D&D can on it was raw sex on wheels.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Honda can't make a decent charging system, between the V4's and Goldwings it just cant be that difficult to come up with a workable rotor-stator-regulator-rectifier system that don't melt down every 15K, hell everyone else can do it...

Early 80's Suzuki's with the oilbath alternator in the crankcase used to melt down too, so what did they do? They moved the dam* thing outside the case and solved the problem! It's just more proof thet Suzuki is a purist motorcycle company, the Japanese version of Ducati while Honda is just another car company that "dabbles in motorcycles"...

Soiciro must be spinning in his grave......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote