Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Cool Video of the Hypermotard (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/4448-cool-video-hypermotard.html)

TheFox 04-24-2007 08:29 AM

The new hotness.

That movie is disco.

I've been kicking around 2 ideas, one stolen and one not. I read in PB about a group of guys in the Netherlands (I think) that were starting a car park racing league. Imagine supermoto in a parking garage - just like this movie, but with competition. Set up a CCTV network and invite spectators, live music at the same time. There's no shortage of empty parking garages in Chicago, and the bikes and gear would be cheap to run and buy. The only killer is insurance.

The other idea (Longride your opinion please) is a not for profit tenatively called the Chicago Parking Alliance. I need a trendy acronym, though. Anyways, I'd like to lobby the city for mandatory (not free) motorcycle parking, and I've actually worked out the platform. While I have yet to pitch it to a rider, I've pitched it to non-riders and they think I've structured it very well and think it sounds more than fair. I'm just unsure how to get started (and I'm not telling what exactly my platrom structure is, because I don't want someone to jump my idea).

Anyone here have any not-for-profit or lobbying experience? Shoot me an PM and we'll talk. Same for any Chicagoans out there interested in either idea.

--The Fox

Buzglyd 04-24-2007 08:53 AM

Re: The new hotness.

It only costs money. It works two ways:

Find a politician who is sympathetic to your cause and raise campaign money for them.

Or

Raise campaign money for a politician who will magically become sympathetic to your cause.

You might want to throw in some kind of fancy study on glossy paper showing a whole bunch of economic benefits. It gives the politician some cover after they've accepted all your cash.

The_AirHawk 04-24-2007 08:54 AM

Re: Cool Video of the Hypermotard

Use that steel "plumbers strip" (the stuff with holes punched in it every-so often) and some self-drilling/tapping screws; that'll cinch-up yer back real damn good.

longride 04-24-2007 09:01 AM

Your idea sounds fantastic about the mandatory motorcycle parking. One small hitch is that King Daley HATES motorcyles. And I don't mean dislike. I think you would have a better chance of getting King Daley to go to the shooting range with you (gun hater also) than get any concession for motorcycists. If he could ban us altogether legally, he would do it. You might find an ear with some of his opponents, but since the last word is with The King, so I wouldn't waste my time. If you want to get started anyway, write the Aldermen in the wards of the city you are targeting for your proposal. see how far you can get with them, and you will see what chance you have of getting it done.

longride 04-24-2007 09:01 AM

Money is good, especially in Chicago.

johnnyb 04-24-2007 09:01 AM

yes, cones in a parking lot. Ducati will probably back you on that deal, no better way to GUARANTEEE a huge and steady stream of replacement parts, both body and bike. (we did it a few times on TT-R125s, excellent carnage...)

TheFox 04-24-2007 09:15 AM

Maybe I'll go the Union route. That seems to be the opposition block right now. There are a lot of new Aldermen. This would probably help if I was a resident. I'm moving to Edgewater in the fall.

The plan is to get started now to get all the propaganda in place, and then start to push next summer. So why does Daley hate bikes so much? Is there any reason or is he just his usual irrational self on this topic?

--The Fox

sarnali2 04-24-2007 09:20 AM

You could call it "Chicago Racing Association for Parkinglots And Side Streets" or C.R.A.P.-A.S.S

mscuddy 04-24-2007 09:37 AM

Re: Cool Video of the Hypermotard

Pretty weak video by Ducati.

KTM has a soopermotard school up at Grange, contact 3 Bros KTM in Temecula, speak with Alicia @ (951) 852-1332.

They supply the bikes and the bandages, last time I checked it was around two hundred bucks a session.

seruzawa 04-24-2007 09:42 AM

Funny isn't it how those who are the most sanctimonious about their loooove of "the people" are the most likely to hate just about everything?

Think Daley will join Cheryl Crow and regulate the proper use of toilet paper?

Don't shake hands with Cheryl!