Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 01-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Default Re: Ducati's Tardozzi: 999 is dead in World Superbike

IF WE ARE GIVING UP THE TWIN IN RACING, WHY ARE WE ASKING BUELL TO GIVE US A VTWIN DESIGNED TO PERFORM ON THE TRACK????

Yep, I'm yelling now. You guys must get tired chasing your tails all day long.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Sort of, except it was an imaginary motorcycle with imaginary repairs and an imaginary stick. Or maybe it was an imaginary broomhandle. That's more like it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #23
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ok Ya'll,

Let's set some "racing" thing right here. Yossef and anyone else that follow the FIM bellow if I'm wrong:

1- FIM allowed the 1000 V-twin rule because they knew that the Twins were down on power racing against the 750 in the late 90s early 2000s.

2- After some some rules book haggling in (what 2001 or so) the FIM says- we're letting the I4 increase to liter and doing so we will allow Twins to run modified cranks and valves and a number of other small internal moving parts to balance the field. Ducati was allowed this, with Honda just winning a Superbike championship or two (w/ RC51s), because Honda knew they were going to run I4 motors in the 2003 season. Honda didn't care what Ducati "brung to the dance" mostly because they knew Ducati could never make up the HP difference.

Now, Ducati is back to the "rules" table asking for the 20% to make the bike LESS technical and Easier to maintain than the current bike. Ducati's arguement isn't about total HP in this case. It's the fact that in current format the F6 motor has 1/2 the life span than it's I4 competitors. Costing (effectively) twice as much money to maintain the motor. That's not including all the "specialty" parts that go into the thing. Ducati WILL waive the parts allowance when FIM allows the CC increase, because they (Ducati) believe that they can compete in the class using ONLY the CC increase and the "standardized" allowable parts as the rest of the field. They will not mass produce a V4 because it's not what Ducati is about. They live by the "Race what you sell" tag. So, KP- don't expect it. Not in Ducati's case.

Aprilia is making the V-4 because the ROTAX twin CANNOT in ANY case be competitive. So, that's their reasoning for introducing the V4 Superbike and brining a new sportbike to the market place. Problem is that Aprilia will be selling a $40k+ bike in this market. Now, I like Aprilia but do you think that you would be in the market for a $40K Aprilia before you would consider a $27K-$30K Ducati "R"? Think I'd take the backing of the Duc warranty way before I cosidered the Aprilia. Aprilia couldn't get the CUBE to race in GP without 'splosions and I don't see them coming in and setting WSB on fire for two or better seasons. MV has a better shot at the title than Aprilia does. That's my take. Feel free to counter-point at your convenience.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #24
LightninRVF750
Registered Member

Default Did I miss something????

Didn't Bayliss and the Duc dominate WSB in 2006 and win the title by like 75 points?

I can understand that Duc would assume that the rules would be changed to accomodate them (yet again), but surely they don't need a rules change to keep them competitive... maybe if they wanted to keep racing in a 1000cc class they should have built a 1000cc bike?

Don't guess there's much point arguing over it, I have zero doubt that if Duc wants it, Duc will get it, you'd have to be even dumber than I am to bet against a trend that hasn't failed in 20 years...
LightninRVF750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
acecycleins
Founding Member

Until Mr. Buell decides to make a "proper" twin, as the peanut gallery would prefer, the XB is only allowed to race in FX in the AMA. Since the AMA is the only race body in the USA that anyone follows regularly, Buell's requested changes (from the peanut gallery, once again) to motor design he's stuck in obscurity. Only the Buell loyalist and those that don't follow racing will buy Buell motorcycles. If the "new" generation of Buell bikes doesn't change Mr. Buell will be stuck in the "small" volume motorcycle hell in which he resides right now. So, change or stagnate, just like I said the other day. It's his choice.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

You think?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Means the same thing. Can be excused, as Yossef probably doesn't do 100% of his thinking in "English". (and that's at least one-up on me - as I don't do 100% of my thinking in English either.........)
Old 01-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Sorry, forgot the Disclaimer:

The Previous Post contained Irony and was typed "Tongue in Cheek". May not be suitable for those unable to laugh at themselves...........
Old 01-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #29
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

OK, so twins are alive and well in racing. One guy says they're dead another says they aren't. As long as they are proper, that is. Is that what you tell customers about the showroom Ducs?....great bikes but terrible engines because in order to be competitive in racing the rules have to be changed to accomodate them. Maybe one day Ducati will build a proper twin...(you tell 'em 'cause I wouldn't dare).
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #30
bbtowns
Founding Member

A factually accurate post on a MO board regarding twins vs 4s. You sure you're not on the wrong board?