Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
mghempel
Registered Member

Default Re: How much is hype?

I've a ST3, and I've a few friends running ST4s'. We find that maintenance usually isn't as bad as a lot of people say. Join the yahoo DucatiST (st2_owners) list, you'll get more info about the ST bikes than you'll ever want to know.

mghempel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Scheduled Maintenance Costs - Follow-Up to ST3 Post

Service is extremely cheap if you do it yourself.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
maladg
Registered Member

If you'd prefer not to - er - yahoo, see http://www.ducati.ms/forums/cmps_index.php?

Plenty 'o how to there.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

7500 valve service plus all the other stuff that goes with it usually will cost $600-700 depending on your dealers service rate. Atlanta Triumph Ducati is $90 hr. I know some Duc shops that are as high as $125 hr.

Regular oil changes- do them yourself- it's not hard.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 AM   #5
cbredeme
Registered Member

sfriderjpo.. In general terms, anything you can learn to do yourself will save you money, whether it be oil changes, plugs, checking fluid levels, cables, etc. It brings you closer to "knowing" what be be wrong with your bike at any given time. I suggest a maint manual and a friend to give you a hand learning more about the inner workings of your bike. As you learn more you'll get more comfortable doing more complicated tasks etc. I live in a condo and keep my bike in a storage unit where I do as much of the maintenance that I can.

Again in general terms, anything with a fairing will require more dissasembly prior to getting to the inner workings of your bike but becomes second nature once you've removed the fairings a few times. I own a 2001 Roadstar 1600, 2003 FJR 1300, and a 2005 Gold Wing and have gradually done more and more on each of them. It's usually the valve check that's gonna cost the most on most bikes but they usually are adding in alot of other routine checks that you can do easily, so just pay for the actual valve check if you want and do the rest yourself.

Previous question about a new bike. Get an FJR. Comes with easily detachable hard bags, add a Givi top box and you have plenty of packing room. It handles twisties great, top speed 152, plenty of horses..good luck!
cbredeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
SRMark
Founding Member

One of the main reasons for recommending a Buell Ulysses is the maintenance routine. First, parts are fairly cheap and second, the regular maintenance issues of valves and chain are nearly moot points. Those valves adjust themselves and the chain is a belt. The bike is a stone axe. It's proving to be pretty trouble free with a few minor issues relating to the kickstand and rear fender, both of which are taken care of by the dealer. There are Harley dealers everywhere, as opposed to Duc dealers. But, the purchase is a passion thing. Go with your heart. If it's broken, 'tis better to have loved and lost...My nearest dealer pissed me off to no end, so I passed on a Uly. I really regret not getting it though. Maybe next year and at a dealer a wee bit farther away.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Sounds like you're getting hosed on those 6000/12000 prices.

You might want to check if you can take off the plastic before you bring it to the shop. That will save you a couple of hours at the dealer right there.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
sfriderjpo
Registered Member

Default Re: How much is hype?

Thanks for the link.....
sfriderjpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #9
sfriderjpo
Registered Member

Thanks for the link..... I remember coming across this when i firt purchased the bike, but forgot all about it.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
sfriderjpo
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the Buell Ulysses. You were the only one, i think, that recommended the Buell. I've been looking at the website and find the bike interesting (albiet different). There's a Harley dealer not too far away, so i think i'll check out the Buells this weekend.

Thanks again.