Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Scheduled Maintenance Costs - Follow-Up to ST3 Post (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/4225-scheduled-maintenance-costs-follow-up-st3-post.html)

sfriderjpo 01-17-2007 05:24 AM

Re: Scheduled Maintenance Costs - Follow-Up to ST3 Post

Removing the plastic is a good idea. I started to do that recently....

The reason i posed the question is because I've been told repeatedly that I'm getting "hosed" on the maintenance. Yet, i'm don't know what the costs are for comparable bikes. That is - asuming i take a VFR into the shop (or whatever bike) what are the costs to do so?

James_Brown 01-17-2007 05:24 AM

If you end up with an 07 Duc, I believe they have upped the service intervals to 7500 and 15,000.

Your dealer sounds high on their shop prices. There can be big differences between dealers, so call around. I have an older 2-valve Ducati, so that should make it some what cheaper, but my 6K services have been under $400 and the 12K services have been under around $500.

The two valve bikes are cheaper to maintain, so that is one more reason to look at the Multistrada 1100. The new 1100 engine should have very similar power to the ST3, but be a bit "torquier"

Fenton 01-17-2007 05:29 AM

$800/$1000 sound high to me. I second the Buell Ulysses for maintainence reasons. Ride, check oil and ride some more.

sfriderjpo 01-17-2007 05:32 AM

Would you say the same for the VFR (or any other bikes for that matter)... or is the Buell unique in the way of maintenance needs?

sfriderjpo 01-17-2007 05:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.... i'm not too sure i like the ergonomics of the Multistrada.

acecycleins 01-17-2007 05:36 AM

Yes it's high. But you're not buying "mass" made asian motorcycles here. You're buying a bike that sells in the thousands a year not tens of thousands. The price of exclusivity, I guess.

BTW- Ya'll know where I work, the Buell is a great suggestion for those that require a unique ride-

longride 01-17-2007 05:40 AM

"Sounds like you're getting hosed on those 6000/12000 prices."

Isn't that what a loyal Ducati owner expects? It's the price one must pay to be cool.

Fenton 01-17-2007 05:45 AM

I should have said, seems high for a duc. in the sf area.

Btw, I was interested to hear your comment on the last thread about his ST3 being crashed by the dealer and may be a total loss. How would that be handled?

Fenton 01-17-2007 05:50 AM

I don't really worry about the service cost too much for a couple of reasons; 1) I ride a couple of different bikes and split up the miles. 2) I can't keep a bike long enough to reach most "major" service miles.

As stated above the buell has some service advantages due to the valves and belt being little to no service.

I haven't owned a v-tech VFR, but understand the service can be a bit of sticker shock.

Buzglyd 01-17-2007 05:56 AM

I'm already cool. In fact they pay me an hourly rate just to hang out in the shop.