Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike Suggestions - Similar to Ducati ST3

Sounds like you have enjoyed your ST3. I vote for sticking with the Duc. Why move to an '07 from the '05?

Triumph will save you some cash and give you a bunch more ponies under the hood. The VFR is a favorite but just doesn't have the Ducati flair.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
fumanchu
Founding Member

i mean this respectfully: what's wrong with your '05? why replace a two year old motorcycle (i'm assuming that it isn't a lemon if you are thinking about getting the same bike again)?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
ksquid
Banned

Welcome.. MO is a great place to get real word advice on bikes from real riders.. I am sure you have checked out the review section . See Sport Tourer review I am going to start commuting to work as well I am looking at the new Concourse 14 and Yamaha FJR1300AE which are bigger than your ST3 I think. The ST3 with ABS would be a nice choice for rainy Seattle By the way I love the looks of the older STs..Perhaps I'll wait for the updated VFR in 08.. By the way I am kpaul.. Just remember to say kpaul is an idiot and everyone will treat you nice here.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
brax4444
Registered Member

Hands down - kpaul is the best known poster.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
maladg
Registered Member

I'd save my $$ and just farkle my ST3 a bit more if I were you. But I'm not you.

Ace: any reason to upgrade to an '07 other than to get that sweet ST3 mill combined with Ohlins suspenders and ABS???
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
maladg
Registered Member

Oops. Fully adjust Showa forks...Ohlins shock. Must have good use of facts/data!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Jake18
Registered Member

Your mini-review of your own bike, the ST3, helps seal my decision to get a new ST3 for myself. I've ridden the Honda VFR, and Yamaha FJR1300, and didn't like either one. The Triumph gets mixed reviews whereas the Duc is liked by just about everyone. I'm riding a Ducati 999s now and after owning a lot of other bikes, it is the best of the lot. I'm curious why you want to trade unless it is for the suspension on the ABS model.
Jake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
triumph900
Founding Member

I'm partial to Triumphs. I just read a review of the 2007 Tiger in Bike (UK). They said it was the best Triumph yet, and liked it more that the Sprint ST, which I believe they said was the best selling ST in the UK.

I like them both, I'd get the Tiger.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, I also wonder why you want to replace your '05. The '07, as far as I know, is identical.

But, if you're thinking about a change of pace, the Sprint is a good choice and I think the new-design bags still come at no cost. If you've got the money, maybe a BMW K bike?

The ZX-14 is fantastic if you don't mind all the extra power (no factory hard bags though, to my knowledge). The forthcoming Concours 14 looks like it'll be every bit as good with more tour ability.

Maybe an FZ-1 with factory option lower fairings and hardbags (if they've got that FI problem sorted, which rumor has it they might)

I just read two ride reviews of the new Triumph Tiger 1050 and word is that it's excellent. It's the same sort of bike as the new FZ-1 and the Duc Multistrada--a sporty all-arounder with hardbags available. Speaking of which, how 'bout the Multistrada 1100? (Although, rumor has it that Ducati is doing a restyle for next year to expunge some of the funky aesthetics.)

The VFR is a solid choice but won't be the most exciting of the bunch. Plus, the word is that Honda is either going to replace the current bike with a new one or drop it entirely.

Shopping for a new bike is fun nowadays. Yee haw!
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
gbrummett
Founding Member

I had a chance to test ride a new ST3 on the race track here in Phoenix. What a great bike! I ended up in 3rd gear all the way around the track and almost immediately felt more comforatable then I had been on any other bike there.

The only problem I had was I kept scraping the center stand around left hand corners.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote