Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Ducat Sport Classic Family Expands for '07. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/3977-ducat-sport-classic-family-expands-for-07-a.html)

staff 10-10-2006 02:36 PM

Last 3 Years of Duc Reviews...

So we do always like the way they ride, sound and look, but as to saying they don't make enough power? Here are some quotes:

(From 2003 S4R story): "Ducati claims the S4R is the most powerful Monster ever. You'll get no argument from me on that point. Ease out the clutch and it practically pulls your arms off, right off idle."

(From 2003 ST3 review): "It does indeed feel more powerful than the two-valve mill and just as strong through the midrange as an ST4, but it is the sheer fluidity of the three-valve unit that impresses most. " and "I wouldn't be surprised, if the ST3 gets the "Best wheelying sport tourer" nomination at a coming MO comparo."

Expensive? Here's what I said when I rode the S2R:"The bike looks expensive and exotic, even though the price is quite reasonable considering the exclusive nature and hand-built quality."

Reliability? I couldn't find any mention of the word "reliability" in any MO story mentioning Ducatis in the last few years, although if you read my story on San Francisco motorcycle messengers, you will find this information:

"In the parking lot, I admire Rick's motorcycle for a bit. It's probably the most battered and high-mileage ST4 I've ever seen. "I bought it salvage title and got new bodywork off of eBay" he says in a rare display of glasnost.

I ask him if it's had any reliability issues, and he tells me he's never even checked valve clearance in the couple of years he's had it. How many miles is that? He shrugs and guesses at somewhere around 50,000, although the Ducati's odometer froze at 10,000."

We also don't discuss maintenance costs much, but if you take these bikes to the dealer for valve adjustments, you will pay a lot of money. That is a fact, not our opinion.

In short, we love Ducatis at MO, and feel some of the models are pretty good values. Also, we will start featuring Ducati motorcycles in more future tests.

ksquid 10-10-2006 02:38 PM

Re: Ducat Sport Classic Family Expands for '07.

See you brought up the political thing.. I am not a Democrat by the way. Though the SV650 seems to be more conservative fiscal Republican (tight wad) than Democrat. but you are the guy with the chaotic confused, nickname ..not me... :)

yellowduc_1 10-10-2006 03:12 PM

I thought I wanted a grey GT1000. Then I saw the black and cream............

Buzglyd 10-10-2006 03:30 PM

Hey Bra. It was the Great Moto Kahuna, Buzglyda'a who said he would only ride a Sport Classic if there was a place to put a babe, bra.

Now Ducati adds a passenger seat.

Shaka, bra.

ksquid 10-10-2006 06:16 PM

Poor Buz

Ah longride was right.. He said you were ripping off senior citizens in Hawaii. This post proves it. Must be a bummer to go to paradise and have to attend an AARP convention for business. All of those silver foxes to choose from eh Buz.

ksquid 10-10-2006 06:22 PM

Re: Trouble for Ducati?

bout time you figured it out...

schizuki 10-10-2006 06:26 PM

Ace has been making sense lately. That was my first clue.

ksquid 10-10-2006 06:31 PM

Remember there is only one kpaul the GMP.

schizuki 10-10-2006 08:08 PM

That's pronounced "gimp", right?

ejis 10-11-2006 02:16 AM

Wow, I can see why there's so much hatred for these bikes: Classic styling, modern design and hardware with a simple, reliable, clean, efficient, and fairly powerful engine. What a piece of crap.

V-twin sportbikes suck. Except when it comes to, like, riding them and stuff...