Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-10-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: What is the Real Deal with Ducati Reliability?

They're solid as a rock anymore. My street riding buddy has an ST4 and the thing is pretty Honda-like. Except for the kickstand it's been reliable as hell. He goes twice the mileage between valve adjustments and so far no clanking noises or extra parts being spit out the exhaust pipe.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
neugen
Registered Member

I own six Ducatis and never had a problem with anything. Quality is top notch.
neugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Maintenance costs? Get a manual and do your own.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

The reliability of modern Ducati's should be of little concern. However, the maintenance can be costly depending on which model and how many miles you ride. The valve checks at 6000 miles aren't a huge deal unless you are riding big miles. The 2V (S2R) will be less expensive to maintain than the 4V (S4RS). Parts support has been no problem.

Something that can't be helped is the desire for a ducati. It tends to grab hold.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #5
bbtowns
Founding Member

I've got 24K on a ST4s, no problems so far except for needing a new battery, pretty minor all things considered. Service costs can run high, though it's not a big deal doing the valves yourself, but it is more time consuming than most other motors.

If you like them, go for it, you'll be happy. The character of Ducati motors is different than everything else out there, different in a good way.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
jhenzie
Founding Member

Like you I am considering a Ducati, an S2R 1000.

The maintenance cost are a little scary.

Its easy to say do the maintenance yourself, but I bang out 120 miles a day, thats a service every 10 weeks, and I don't see how I would be able to fit the maintenance in with my other 'chores'. Note that it is not the valve clearances that are particular onerous, its stripping the beast down.

That said, if I could find a reputable mechanic that was prepared to give me a decent rate on the maint. I think I would jump.

I can hear the dry clutch rattling and the twin booming as I type.
jhenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
Vlad
Registered Member

Ducatis are usually pretty solid, with few problems. Ducati has spent some time updating those "antiquated" processes that were a problem in the past. Do the valve adjustments on schedule and you will be fine. The cost of maintenance is another matter. Find out what it will be up front. I have seen dealers range from $350 to $750 for a two valve adjustment. My advice, if the dealer is high, do your own adjustments once it is out of warranty. Or you can negotiate the first two services into the price of the bike. One Calfornia dealer even offers a video to show you how.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
chris820
Founding Member

I have a bunch of friends who ride and club race ducati's. I've gone through a couple myself in years past. Here are some first hand facts. I've seen over 25k miles on a 2 valve monster with only one valve adjustment. The bike is a '97 and still runs perfect. I've seen a 996 with about 12k miles and only one valve adjustment. This bike has seen many hours of track time and still runs great. I bought a used 748 with about 16k miles on it and the motor gets run pretty hard on a regular basis and keeps on kicking without issues. The only bothersome problems i've had with ducatis are the occassional minor electrical problem which has never amounted to anything more than just being a slight nuisance. I'd buy again without any worry of reliability.
chris820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
bollert
Registered Member

Thanks so far! I'm getting a little excited now thinking about buying one. The question now becomes: S-4R(s) or S-2R. Obviously, more power is nice, but if I don't need it on the street AND the S-2R is easier to maintain???
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Vlad
Registered Member

I prefer the torque characteristics of the two valve myself, but that's just me. As for horsepower, I have difficulty needing more than 90+ in a sub 400 lb bike. Personally I am jonesing for a 1000GT.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote