Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #31
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: What is the Real Deal with Ducati Reliability?

I had an '04 Monster S4R for two years, and I really liked it - I did several of the "standard" mods, like Arrow exhaust, lower gearing, PCIII and custom map, open airbox, and it seemed pretty fast to me. I agree that the packaging of engines looks a bit lame compared to the air-cooled versions, and depending on your riding you might prefer the midrange of the S2R models, but I stopped buying air-cooled bikes many years ago. Choosing not to have water cooling 'cause the motor looks "cleaner" doesn't seem like a very good decision to me. The monster forum I read while I owned mine had several references to really high oil temps.

Just my 2 cents - I've got a 999 now.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #32
r1der
Founding Member

One word of caution. 1000 DS motors tend to puke their valve guides between 6000 and 12,000 miles. Ducati is aware of the problem and they are fixing the motors with no questions asked.

As of 2006, they should have fixed the problem.
r1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #33
mjs
Founding Member

It will cost you more to own a Ducati than to own a Japanese bike. It's up to you to decide if owning a Ducati is worth the extra cash. It's a pretty simple decision.
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #34
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

No, the S3R has a 3-valve engine, hence the 3 in S3R.
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

#1 Ducs are reliable. I've got 24,000 on my ST4 with no problems other than recently replacing the slave cylinder.

#2 Don't take it to your mechanic friend who is spewing forth such gobbledygook.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #36
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I stand corrected. Somehow I got the impression that the 3-valve was being dropped, so the number representing valves didn't really apply any more. That's actually good news, I think. I've gotten stuck in stop and go traffic on air cooled bikes and get to freaking out about how hot they might be getting, with no way of really knowing. We used to spit on a finger and touch the fins, the theory being that if you heard a sizzling sound, you should probably shut the thing down before it siezed. Not a real good option on a stop and go superslab.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #37
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Well, of course. The only V-rod I personally spanked may have been really badly ridden, but V-max's also make ten more horsepower and are fifty pounds lighter. Maybe its gearing-I guess you're in a better position to know. All I know, is that the V-rods I have seen haven't been all that impressive IMHO.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #38
BlueDuck
Registered Member

Ditto the clutch slave. My '01 ST2 was recalled at 800kms for the slave and the replacement failed slowly at 20k kms, eating the drive chain's o-rings in the process (o-rings don't seem to like DOT4 brake fluid!). Yoyodyne slave is cheaper than the Ducati part and works better. Naturally it looks much cooler too. Other than that, no problems in 28k kms.
BlueDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #39
addysdaddy
Registered Member

Note that the service schedule has changed for the 2007 models. Value adjustments are now every 7500 miles (instead of 6k) and the amount of shop time has been drastically reduced from 6 hrs to 2.5 hrs. That should make the cost of ownership significantly less.
addysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:41 AM   #40
redalfa
Founding Member

Have a 2005 999 no maintenance issues but getting parts seems to be a big problem. Dropped my bike sliding on gravel in a low turn, its been at my dealers now for almost 2 months for repair, and he claims still hasn't received the parts in from Ducati. If I didn't have another bike ( Harley Street Rod) I would be without a bike all summer. Has anyone else had this problem, is it Ducati or the dealer?
redalfa is offline   Reply With Quote