Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #11
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: What is the Real Deal with Ducati Reliability?

Francis is right. Unless you're riding a luxo-barge touring bike, about 100 hp (give or take) is all you'll ever need for the street. My last BMW made only 75-ish hp, and that's enough for two-up touring plus LOADED Jesse bags. It's also enough to run the Dragon in 2nd and 3rd gears. And that's a 615 lb. motorcycle.

The 90+ hp that the 2-valve Duc engine makes is more tahn enough to pull every wheelie you want to, enough to walk away from every car not driven by Michael Schumacher, and certainly enough to commute.

Plus, if what you first liked about the Duc is her looks, then most ducatisti would argue that the bikes look better without all that plumbing and those hoses and that radiator.

Lastly, many think that because the noise of the engine is less isolated from your ears in the air-cooled engine (no water jacket to help muffle the explosions), the two-valve sounds a bit better.

Get the two-valve.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
bollert
Registered Member

I've had just about every inline 4 sportbike made, including an RC-51 and Buell. I've grown very weary of inline 4s on the street. The XB-12R has great power for the street, but the lack of RPM can sometimes be bothersome. If the Duc has the same characteristics as the Buell but with a 10,000 RPM redline, it sounds like the ticket for me. The Buell only suffers at the track against an inline due to the straightline speed deficit. Not a problem on the street. I'm almost convinced, especially if the Dolce Vida program is still in effect for the S-2R
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I've grown very weary of inline 4s on the street."

How can one grow weary of the greatest engine configuration in the history of mankind?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default inline 4s

A better configuration is an inline 6 - just ask any BMW cager like me. But...the inline 4 I want is a MV Agusta. Next is a modern Ariel square 4 or a Vincent (HRD).
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

The air/oil cooled 2 valve motors are the most user friendly. The 4 valve water cooled bikes need to be maintained by a qualified Ducati tech. If I remember right, all new Ducs come with a factory 2 yr unlimited mile warranty.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #16
tomk2
Founding Member

yup, the Dual Spark two valve motor is a gem
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #17
BillyO
Registered Member

Over the past three years I`ve owned two Ducks,1000SS and an ST2.I also have had at the same time two Harleys,Dyna Sport and a

Road Glide.

I never had a problem with any of them.

The ST2 is,IMHO,one of the sweetest rides that ever existed.

If you can find a great used one,go for it.

You will only regret getting rid of it later.

BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
schizuki
Founding Member

Good lord, man! think of the KPPI!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
manalagi001
Registered Member

Long term ducati owner here. I had a two-valve Monster, a 1997 m900. If you ride 6000 miles a year, then a one-yearly trip to the shop, I found, is a good idea just to have the mechanics go over everything while they are doing the valve service. My shop charged about $350 for the service and in return I had a peak-running bike all year long. Some other shops wanted close to $800 for the service (on a Monster!) and also had long waiting lists, scheduling hassles, etc. If you have a good supportive shop or like to do the maintenance yourself then it makes all the difference.

Ducatis come with a two-year warranty which should protect you against any "lemon" parts and you can extend that to a four-year warranty. I had a turn signal switch go bad on me-- maybe someone sprayed it with something-- and it was replaced, along with with a clutch slave seal. That was it, and both were covered. I rode the bike for 30,000 miles before selling it.

I've also freuqnetly ridden a 916, a friend's bike frequently loaned to me in exchange for my truck. This was a four-valve water cooled motor, of course, and while that bike was very nice it was not appropriate for commuting and city riding.

I've ownede about six Hondas, two Kawasakis, four KTMs, and a Yamaha and a Triumph. No Suzukis yet. I would rate the quality and reliability of the Ducatis and the KTMs highest by a large margin.

I've found that all bikes require maintenance and care. Properly maintained, a Ducati will outlast a Honda, due to the quality of its components, and it will also retain resale value.

Hondas are not bulletproof or better quality bikes. I would say instead that they are more idiot-proof. In other words, while a properly maintained Ducati will last longer and retain its value better than a properly mainained Honda, if you took the same two bikes and did NOTHING to them, the Honda would outlast the Ducati by many miles.

Based on my experience I would definitely buy a Ducati again if a model matched my riding needs and desires. It was an excellent value given the good deal I got on it initially and its high resale value years later. An 800-1000cc S2 engine would be my engine choice.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
vx49268
Founding Member

I've read that for 2007 Ducati is extending the maintence interval to 9,000 miles.

Also, my dealer was saying that what he feels is the most critical aspect of Duc maintence is the belts. He says that they really must be replaced every 2 year. Evidently these belts don't have self-adjusting tensioners unlike most car engines.
vx49268 is offline   Reply With Quote