Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #41
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: but....

Ben is behind the curve... Jake and Miguel were consistantly faster than he while on the same machinery. Unfortunately as I am a brothers Bostrom fan.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #42
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 WSBK results... inline 4s dominated.

Par for the course for kpaul. He likes to cherrypick apples-to-oranges data to support his points. Like when he compared figures for (working from memory here) the latest Kawi 600 to the first-generation SV650, in yet another futile attempt to argue with me.

I've seen him do it with others, too. Usually gets caught, but keeps on tryin'. You have to admire that kind a tenacious mendacity.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #43
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Bayliss is the difference

Well, obviously he wasn't riding one of the worthless V-Twins, then. So what was he on?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #44
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: More KPaul

Kanker sore.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #45
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Duc is NOT competitive at this point

If you read the rule books carefully, you will find that in AMA and WSB twins have fewer modification restrictions than 4-cyl bikes, meaning that racing teams on ducatis can (and probably do) modify their bikes more to be able to run with the japs. In pure HP terms, the ducs have been behind the ball since the late 80's.

Their MotoGP bike has been running on 4 cylinders for a couple of years now. Ducati announced the 4 cyl bike for sale maybe one or two years ago, i.e. it was supposed to be available...maybe '07 or '08 (not sure the date they set for that...).... . In any case, even ducati is now going with the 4 cyl. It has a lot to do with hp, and also emissions. Ducati has a huge following in europe, and the euro emission standards have always been more stringent than US standards (including California!). 4's tend to run cleaner, i.e. less waste during the combustion cycle. This directly relates to power as well. It just makes plain old horse-sense....
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:57 AM   #46
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Not Ducatis market

Ducati is a sportbike manufacturer. They don't do cruisers. If you want an italian cruiser, you'll have to look at Moto Guzzi. Building a "big-bore" as you described would be equivalent to Ferrari building a pickup truck. Let's not go there.......
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 AM   #47
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Re: Not Ducatis market

A 1200cc 999 would be akin to a Ferrari pick-up truck? As one rider to another, let me offer some debating advice: don't shoot down your credibility with silly statements before the debate even starts.

As for the cruiser comment, I'm not looking to cruise. I just want something that handles without having to rev the ***** out of the motor for it to get out of it's own way. Japan Inc. makes penty of great 600s, you're welcome to ride those. Just don't tell me I can't have liter-plus twins.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #48
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Re: Not Ducatis market

Was just thinking further down the Ferrari analogy . . .

What did Ferrari do when they were looking to improve on the 3.5L F355?

They built the 4.3L F430.

Even the Italians know it; big motors rule.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 AM   #49
davidhaner
Founding Member

I actually think kpaul was confused about bayliss dropping his bike and coming in 4th; miguel did that in an ama race recently when he was in 1st place.. dropped his bike, came in 4th. Jake won that race.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #50
ksquid
Banned

No this was a few years ago when Edwards on the RC-51 was dueling with Baylis on the 998 (beautiful bike).. I agree Miquel is fun to watch, listen to, and a gutsy guy..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote