Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Ducati Announces New Monster 695 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/3340-ducati-announces-new-monster-695-a.html)

sv1000rider 02-23-2006 05:22 PM

Re: Ducati Announces New Monster 695

LOL....before or after a visit to the red-light district?

m_t_yeo 02-23-2006 05:31 PM

Re: It is simply a tussle between haves and have-nots.

I've always been mystified by the number of Harley's on the road. I've always seen them as heavy, ponderous, expensive and relatively behind in technology (excepting the V-Rod, here). Japanese cruisers are usually a much better value for the dollar. I guess you could say that I see them as the motorcycle equivalent of the 1970's era Cadillacs.

My brother's Harley, for example, cost twice what my Thruxton did. We're both happy, both ride every day we can, etc. but I can't get over the fact that he paid twice as much money to get that happiness and got a slower, poorer handling bike that gets worse mileage as part of the deal.

You own Harley ... what makes people pay that kind of money?

bigdx 02-23-2006 05:46 PM

Re: Do you understand Jr high math? ratios? division?

"Take 73 hp [and] divide it by the ccÂ’s idiot"

Why do I want to do that? Does the cc of the bike change itÂ’s measured the horsepower output? Mmmm? A 100hp 600cc engine and a 100hp 1000cc engine make the same horsepower. Their engine capacity is irrelevant when you measure horsepower.

I can only assume you are eluding (in a very inarticulate fashion) to horsepower per liter, and then quite incorrectly assuming the higher horsepower per liter number to be indicative of the better powerplant.

If you had an IQ larger than your penis size you would realize that the lower output per liter number would be indicative of a engine that produces higher torque. Not only would that motor have a better spread of power, but more than likely enable the bike to achieve a higher top end, quicker quarter mile and allow the rider to keep to a single gear longer when riding under all condition.

The Buell would cream the Duke in any riding condition.

With the exception of a little Alaskan commie also posting here, you are probably the dumbest individual I have ever come across. No wonder you cannot earn enough to ride anything else than a ricer.

bigdx 02-23-2006 06:02 PM

‘Japanese cruisers are usually a much better value for the dollar’

No, they are not. You get the roughly same return on your money buying a ricer as what you get spending the money on hookers. (Difference, hookers have more class than metric cruisers)

I spend more on a Harley but I get my money back when I sell.

"We're both happy, both ride every day we can"

So your brother is going to get his money back. You are not.

Mmmm. I understand why your brother is happy. Why are you happy? I get real pissed when I lose money.

sportbikebandit 02-23-2006 06:21 PM

Japanese cruisers have...Let's see less money more performance, less problems.. oh I forgot you are bad with math bigdrk. HDs (except the V-Rod) are ancient, underpowered, heavy, expensive....etc...

sarnali 02-23-2006 06:48 PM

I've had lots of different bikes, the Dyna I have now is the 5th Harley and a blast to ride. I paid 12k OTD, put another $1500 or so in comfort and performance enhancements and I'm happy as a clam everytime I ride it. It sounds good, carburates clean from idle to redline, is all day comfy and up to 100 or so is competetive with any other cruiser type bike on the road. I had it dyno'd at 75 hp at 5.8k and 83 lb foots of torque @ 4800. If you check most charts this is real world power, not racetrack 14.5 k peaks.

I freely admit it's heavy and has moderate lean angles, any sportbike from an '83 GPZ 750 (which I also owned) on would leave it on the horizon, however that's not why I bought it. I bought it to be a fun and comfy bike I could put miles on and that's exactly what I do. I don't consider myself a "badass" but at 6ft, 300 lbs, most people really don't want to f*ck with me, I mind my own buisness and expect you to mind yours. If you don't want a Harley or Triumph or Honda, Suzuki whatever, then don't buy one, Believe me I really don't care what you ride or do for a living.

I think mid-management-doctors-dentist-accountants playing tuffy are foolish as well, but it's their trip, not mine. I ride a Harley because it's fun, no more, no less. When it quits being fun I'll buy a Triumph or Suzuki or a f***in' Mazda if I feel like it .

Don't like it? don't look.

sarnali 02-23-2006 07:03 PM

Re: Buz, someone needs your help.

snot-gobbling toad, tiny brained wiper of other peoples bottoms, eater of eggs of questionable origin, babylonian soddomite, hebrew ****....Why do you continue? at least move so the Puget Sound area isn't tainted by your stain.......I'm about as far left as you can get, but you NAMBLA posterboy are an embarressment even to me..

xlr8r 02-23-2006 11:20 PM

Re: Lets try this again

Engines produce torque, not horsepower. If, of two engines of similar displacement, one produces more torque than the other at similar rpm, then it is more efficient, and probably of a more modern design. If one produces more peak horsepower than the other, it will be because it can rev higher, which is a function of its valvetrain dynamics and the reciprocating weight of its internal engine parts. This is why 600cc sportbikes can rev so high. Having a broad rev range will also mean that it can be geared lower to reach a given top speed, which will give it better acceleration. This is the basic formula for a sportbike. This whole buell/ducati/jap sportbike argument comes down to whether, at 70 mph, you want the engine underneath you to be turning at 4000 rpm with 60 lbs of torque or 6500 rpm and 40 lbs of torque. If you want it relaxed, get something with bigger pistons: if you want it frenetic, buy something with smaller pistons. It's that simple. Of course, in all cases, the less weight you have for the torque to propel, the better, since in accelerating and decelerating you have to overcome the inertia of the whole machine.

naco_traficante 02-24-2006 01:50 AM

Once you taste rice, you'll wanna eat twice

If I ever feel like posing -AND- mixing my paint at the same time, I know what brand to buy.

Otherwise not.

longride 02-24-2006 02:42 AM

Sarnali, you are tellin em like it is! You don't need a Harley to be the OG that you are. You forgot more about motorcycles than most of these guys ever knew.