Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
2WF
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Announces New Monster 695

Yea, but before I can get the Ducati I need to buy a crane to get it off that high ass pedestal you seem to put them on.

Doug
2WF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
MudSlinger
Founding Member

I rode Japanese bikes for a long time, and yes, some of the older bikes have character. But until you throw a leg over a European bike, you'll never understand. It's a visceral thing, trust me.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
gear_head
Registered Member

Even if I grant for the moment that everything else you say in your post is true (which I don't), how is it not repackaging?
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
gear_head
Registered Member

Sounds like that famous Harley slogan..If I have to explain...

But from a visceral point only (since that is what you say), how would it be different from riding on an SV650 or SV1000? What about a Buell? What about V4 Japanese bikes- ever hear a VFR with pipes? Is this for dry-clutch only Ducati's? I'm not sure I understand. Do you just prefer twins? An inline-4 liter bike near the redline is a pretty visceral experience. Maybe I do understand, maybe the Ducatisti are just barking up the wrong tree when they pen their arguments.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: News Flash 2008

No I don't.
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
pjd2ss
Registered Member

So I'm not a jaded as the posts above... I've been wanting a new Duc and this is tempting. Getting into the mid 70s for HP plus I could actually afford to add the performance kit. Might be kind of fun, a small light comfortable bike to tool around on. With the traffic around here, you rarely get to use any more HP than that anyway. Plus I love the red and black color scheme. Maybe I'm just getting old...
pjd2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #17
sv1000rider
Founding Member

"....Few bikes in the world can keep up with a Ducati in a corner....."

A corner coffee shop?
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #18
sconley
Founding Member

I've owned several Monster's and Supersports, I now own a Buell, Had a hawk GT and an R1 and the visceral experience of an inline four at redline sucks in comparison to anything made by Ducati... They really do have a total package feel that the japanese can't formulate with all their technology... They're boring frankly. But this is subjective, so feel free to bash away at my subjective opinion... It's as valid as yours. But what isn't an opinion is this 695 monster makes as much HP as the 900 when it came out in 1993... Here were the specs back then:

Engine Type: 904 cc, 4 Stroke - L Twin

Engine Bore and Stroke: 92 mm x 68 mm

Valves 2 valves/cylinder

Claimed Horsepower: 73 hp (54.4 kW) @ 7000 rpm

Maximum Torque: 76 Nm (56.1 ft. lbs) @ 6000 rpm

Transmission type: 6 speed

Final Drive: Chain

I'd rather have a Monster 400 than a sportster 883
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
MudSlinger
Founding Member

It's obvious that you are a fan of Japan, Inc. That's fine. I prefer the European sort. Yes, you're right, I like twins (incl. Buell) and sometimes a triple. Inline fours are about as exciting to me as a Buick. At the moment, I don't own a Ducati, and with their current styling, you couldn't give me one either. On the SV1000 front, I owned an '02 DL1000. Great damn bike, and yes, it had a sweet exhaust note (Remus). It's infinately reliable and waaay cheaper than the Euro counterpart too. Now to my Guzzi and Triumph. Are they perfect, absolutely not! Do I have a visceral [(M-W dictionary)crude/ elemental emotion] attachment to the mechanical happenings and iffy electrical systems, absolutely! (subconsciously, I think that I just like to work on them, tinkeritis) Of my bikes, I ride the least powerful, oldest tech, and stylisticlly questionable one the most. My Guzzi. It's like the Harley guys say "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand" There's a lot of truth to that, and maybe I don't understand your connection to the "hyper-sport" style of bike. I was never attacking you, but rather the idea of BIG companies getting their fingers into the smaller builders. They don't belong. It would be like Anheuser-Busch running a microbrewery. It just ain't right.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #20
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Ducati has a better performance/cc ratio then Buell

Ducati Monster 73 hp /695cc

Buell XB-9 76 hp / 994 cc

Both Air cooled. Nice job Ducati way to kick Buells butt

Erik get a new engine.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote