Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Default Re: Two valves or four?

I don't pay much attention to Ducatis but I can imagine that more low-rpm torque would be more pleasant for two-up riding. (Is the ST3 still available? I read some reviews that made it seem like a good balance between the 2 and 4 valve versions.) And yes, two valves should be a bit less expensive to maintain.

Even if there are no peg or seat kits available, you can always take the stock seat to a seatmaker to have some extra foam added. That will improve the seat-to-peg distance a bit for you.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
Fenton
Founding Member

Call your local Ducati dealer and ask the cost of the 600 & 6000 mile service for both the 2v and 4v.

The 4v will be more expensive to maintain.

The ST3 has received great reviews.

I'm a snob, give me the ST4s in grey with red rims.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Many of the ST2 fans buy the two valve model because they can adjust the valves themselves. If you're going to take it to a dealer the cost shouldn't be that much different.

The ST2 might make power at lower revs but the ST4 has a top end hit that is pure magic.

I've toured and ridden two-up plenty on my ST4 and never found it deficient on torque. That's what the tranny is for!

I think Salt Lake Motorsports makes a peg lowering kit. It was made for Gary Eagan as he rode his ST4 more than 100,000 miles.

You know I might have a nice low-mileage ST4 for sale in my garage. Let me check......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

Won't that just leave you with the glide and a Ducati sport picture you tore out of a magazine?

Tape it to your bathroom mirror so you can "visualize" it in your garage while you shave.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I haven't put the Duc up for sale yet but I'm considering a garage re-shuffling.

!) Keep the Glide and buy a Sport Classic when available. Although, I can't get that damn Tuono out of my mind.

2) Sell the Glide also and buy a 2006 FJR1300 and only have one bike (perish the thought).
Old 12-29-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Fenton
Founding Member

I'm with ya. I'm thinking sell the Multi, buy a dr,klr..etc. Or, sell the Daytona 955i & Multi, buy 1200GS.

I always come back to the FJR and the DL1000 for 1 bike. I think I like the v-strom because it's $8k less than the gs and my off road skills don't exist.

The FJR is way up there. I miss the futura's ability to just eat up hwy miles.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

The ST2 has the torque. The ST4 has top-end. The ST3 (which is the replacement for them both, basically) is the blend of both. I have had customers that have had all three machines and the overall winner from a consumer stand point is the ST3. Read any review and you'll notice they are always positive. As far as rear-sets are concerned. There are many companies that will help. Just ask the dealer.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #8
maladg
Registered Member

Hah! Once you reach that "certain age" and you start to see trade offs that each decision causes...then the fun begins.

Decisions, decisions.

One bike? There is no one bike!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
Fenton
Founding Member

Well, I'm down from 4 to 1 to 2. There is no 4 bikes either. I haven't checked my lotto #s from last night yet!?!

I got it, RT/KTM950/DRZ(sm)/RC-51.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

40...the new 30!