Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: Two valves or four?

I have raced both 2 and 4 valve ducs. I will never again do that.

if you buy a ducati to ride on the street have a plan B. don't expect it to be cheap or reliable and you won't be disappointed. i had an st2 for awhile too. it was a fun bike to ride. no doubt.

regards

ed
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
teknoman
Registered Member

What is it?You guys rich!!!!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Fenton
Founding Member

Nope, just got my priorities in line.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My experience with my Duc has been totally positive. Maybe that's why the mechanic always tells me "you got a good one."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
hangdog1
Registered Member

My friend had a brand new ST4 and had lots of problems getting the thing to start when it was warm. Ducati always told him thats just how they are due to the high compression. Still pretty embarissing sitting out in the parking lot trying over and over to get your brand new shiny red, 20K bike to start.

He actually traded it in for an ST3 which always starts right up and he totally loves riding it, that is . . . . when it's not in the shop for oil leaks. It was in the shop for the first 8 out of 10 weeks he had it. A total of 3 different times for severe oil leaks.

So moral of the story, if you want a reliable bike, don't buy Ducati but if you are a die hard Ducati fan, the ST3 seems to be an excellent bike as far as performance goes. Once they got the initial problems worked out, it seems to be reliable now also.
hangdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #16
Loki22302
Founding Member

Okay,

I've owned my ST4s for almost three years. No problems except for a dead battery that was my fault. As for hard start problems, Ducati USA replaced the EPROM and the dealer balanced the throttle bodies. The service cost me $10 for shop supplies. This was after the warranty period had expired. The bike has been a joy to own.

CycleCat has adjustable pegs and other cool stuff for Ducs.

The great thing about ST2's is the low price. Folks pass them over because of the two valve engine. On a tight road, you will not miss having that 4 valve kick. In theory, the two valve engines are cheaper to service, but make sure the dealer is charging you for checking valve clearance and not adjusting the clearances. Desmo valves rarely go out of range. Maybe after 12000 miles, one valve will need a shim. DO NOT neglect the belts! In reality, a Duc is not that much more expensive to maintain that other bikes.

Ducatis are better bikes than people want to admit. The folks who bad-mouth them the most are the people who have never owned one or bought used ones that were thrashed. I've owned jap bikes that were pigs.

I have received more compliments about my ST than any other bike I have owned.
Loki22302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #17
Aero_Mongoose
Founding Member

I have to echo some of Loki's sentiments here. I have an '05 Monster S2R that I am thrilled with. I've only had it 4 months, but it hasn't needed any unscheduled maintenance. I know that the service is cheaper for a 2-valve motor like mine, but I don't know by how much. The motor has been good for anything from freeway droning to riding a winding road. I can't tell you how it is 2-up, but I've found it to be both friendly and fun no matter what I ask of it.

One of the things that surprised me about Ducati when I was researching bikes was that they not only give hp and torque numbers for their bikes, they also give dyno readouts on their website for current model bikes. You may not be able to find a chart for an ST2, but you can certainly get one for an ST3 and any of the other 2-valve and 4-valve bikes they offer. Don't worry about the absolute numbers for this comparison, just look at the trend of the torque line. There are factors other than valve count that affect the 'flatness' of the curve, but you should be able to get a general impression about the difference this way. Of course the best solution is to actually ride them all, but sadly this can't always happen. I would have to guess that the 3-valve motor strikes a pretty good balance as the ST4 has been discontinued for '06.

Hope that helps.
Aero_Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:16 AM   #18
triumph900
Founding Member

Hasn't the ST4 been discontinued? I do weekend work at a friend of mine's shop that sells Ducati, and I think I remember seeing that the ST4 was dropped. Anyway, even if it is still available, the ST3 is a better bang for the buck, IMO. We sold more ST3's than ST4's by a good margin.

BTW - Don't discount the Triumph Sprint ST...
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:17 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think you're right. I just wonder why Ducati doesn't offer ABS on the ST3 if it is not selling the ST4s here.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #20
macmanjim
Founding Member

Either your kids are grown, or you don't have any...

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote