Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #11
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati history for sale? Hurry and read fast!

The rare thing about this is the condition, not the bike. I've owned one of these, far back in the past, and at one time I had a Pantah and a Guzzi Monza and a Morini 3-and-a-half at the same time - and I rated both the Guzzi and the Morini as better than the Pantah. The electrics aren't a problem, they're largely Bosch parts, but the suspension is rock-hard and the ergos are no good if you're tall; no amount of aftermarket suspension bits seemed to make it any better. Engine-wise, it was okay, but no more than that: never as fast as you thought it was going to be. If you've ridden a modern Duke and you think this is going to be similar, you're very much mistaken. Still, if it's what you want - and in all seriousness it's a collector-only bike - then don't let me stand in your way.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2005, 08:37 AM   #12
THE_Bear
Registered Member

Yes, I remember Ghost Motorcycles in Port Washington. I bought Nortons from them in the early '60s. My first was an Electra. Sal tried to push a Diana Mk III on me. But I wanted the Electric start. I'm just glad I didn't keep that bike too long, moved up to an Atlas.
THE_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
obandoj
Founding Member

Yeah, Sal Defeo was quite the character, very charming at times but you had to watch him. A friend told me a few years ago that he ended up in trouble with the IRS. I did buy a couple of bikes from him and never had a problem.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:03 AM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

I was in PW yesterday. Unfortunately, Ghost Motorcycles is no longer there. I know there was another shop that Sal had afterwards, and that's gone, too. I'll miss that guy.