Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #21
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Hypermoto Breaks Cover

I don't know about "ridiculously overpowered" and Ducati's air cooled 1000cc L twin being used in the same sentence. Quoting 85-92hp is pretty mild. BTW, the motor is a wonderful street motor. I've got a mts.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2005, 02:00 AM   #22
iamz
Founding Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Maybe they have realized the error of their ways. I did my part, filled out the survey and practically begged them to put the 620 in it.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:14 AM   #23
iamz
Founding Member

I understand how business works. What you fail to realize or remember is that not only will they lose those sitting on the fence, but they place themselves deeper into the fray with the other so called premium or exotic competition. The textbook theory only works when you have little to no competition.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:27 AM   #24
Vigor_Mortis
Founding Member

I like it a lot. Probably what the Multistrada should have been all along. Speaking of the Multi, this Hyper'tard seems to share many parts in common, so perhaps Ducati could get it into showrooms without years of development time.

If it does go into production, it would be nice to see a least a little flyscreen, passenger pegs, provisions for optional luggage, and a decent fuel tank range. There is a survey on Ducati.Com someplace (maybe in the Hyper'tard minisite) where you can tell 'em what you think.

I know it isn't really a supermotard, but so what? They had to call it something and it does share some significant styling trends with supermotards and other bikes that also borrow elements of style from that genre, like the KTM 950 Supermoto, BMW H2 (or whatever it is,) and Buell Ulysses.

I like the variety that manufacturers are putting out there. It's great for those of us that want choices (lots of choices) outside of the cruiser or repli-racer boxes. Those are fine boxes by the way, just not for everyone.
Vigor_Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #25
bbtowns
Founding Member

That's not been my experience with a Ducati ST4s. There are two dealers in Portland, OR., and they stock commonly needed parts. My wife dropped a ladder and broke the mirror off the bike, they had it in stock. Now a new model that doesn't share parts with previous models (at least in the body department), I wouldn't be shocked to hear about the problems you're bringing up.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:10 AM   #26
Tigercub
Founding Member

Basic motorcycle - wheels, frame, engine chasis, gas tank, fenders and controls - the way only Ducati can do. I may need more than just a hat with the name Ducati on it in my garage.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 AM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

I guess I'm lucky. My local Aprilia dealer is less than 10 miles from my house. In fact, he's the closest dealer of any kind. The Ducati dealer is about 5 miles further.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #28
steven_1
Founding Member

Whats hideous about a Moto- Guzzi? Nice basic bikes, easy to work on, run forever. Just not for everyone.
steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #29
James_Brown
Registered Member

I agree that engine options are great, but also that it's ridiculous to suggest that the 1000DS engine is some mega-firebreather that will overpower the Hypermotard.

I also agree that the front end of the Hypermotard is infinitely more attractive than that of the Multistrada. I test rode a Multistrada S and loved it. However, to throw down $13,500 plus hardbags for I bike I love to ride but not look at is tough. At $10k, I might be willing to get past the looks. The Hypermotard has solved the looks issue and I don't think it will lose anything in the fun factor versus the Multistrada. However, I fear it may lose some of the all around practicality of the Multi. How about a Hypermotard with a slightly taller windscreen and some attractive integerated hardbags? Give me that and the Ohlins bits and I'll start saving my pennies. Until then, I'll make do with my lil' old M750.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #30
brianriley
Registered Member

ItÂ’s all about perspective!

This dealership is about 10 miles from my house in backwoods Texas

http://www.advancedmotorsports.com/
brianriley is offline   Reply With Quote