Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: high mileage 748 = bad idea?

If you could, I think it would be worth taking it to a mechanic knowledgable about Ducatis for a thorough look over. $6k is a lot for a bike with 23k miles. You could buy a brand new leftover 2003 SV1000 for that!
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2005, 03:50 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd rather have one of them new Speed Triples. In fact, I think I really need one of them.

As far as the 748 goes... find someone who has actually owned one. There's probably a Ducati message board you could go to.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Does the seller have receipts??

Ask the seller for receipts. If he / she does not have any then ask where the bike was maintained and ask them for a service history. Look at the receipts / service history and see if all maintenance was done on time and by an authorized mechanic.

Like was said above have a mechanic look at the bike, go with what they say.

If you are in doubt and are not ready to fork out bucks for valve adjustments etc then look elsewhere. Maybe a newer Japanese bike?

Also you didn't mention your bike riding experience and needs, what are you buying this bike for? From what I hear it's a great track bike but would make a lousy commuter bike.

Are you going to use it as your primary bike to ride to work, if so you might want to look elsewhere. If it's another bike to add to your collection and you are going to be riding it on the track or in the canyon's and the bike has a good service record then go for it.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You have my permission to get a new speed triple.

Tell the wife I said it was ok.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
svo68
Registered Member

I'm with you the triple is awsome.

As with a women, why get one that is high maintenance? There are so many you can pick from that require half the time and money. Looks aren't everything.

You'll get along better with one that likes to be ridden instead of one you have to worked on or send to the shop.
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Find one that's been well-maintained and buy it then. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to get something more practical. I'm serious.

Motorcycles are an impractical purchase for the most part. Get what you want. If you don't, you'll be sitting on that practical Honda or Suzuki at a stoplight and the Ducati will ride by with someone else on it and you'll feel sick that you didn't buy it.

I own a Ducati ST4 (916 motor) with 23k on it. It has been totally rock-solid. The clutch is about toast but the valves have needed little or no adjustment at every service interval.

Just do your research first and then buy. You'll love it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
Captain_1
Founding Member

As previously stated, condition is key. The mileage is a factor since parts wear out and require replacement. I like my 4-valve Ducs, but like Ferrari's - they cost more to maintain. If you have limited disposable income, there are better choices. Perhaps more importantly, the 748/916/996 generation superbikes are race focused and make traffic-ridden street riding a chore. However, if you are like me and spend more time looking at your Italian bikes then riding them, go for it!. ciao
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
tomk2
Founding Member

If the owner has receipts from a valve adjsutment at a reputable shop in the last 6K miles I think you shouldn't worry too much about the engine. If he doesn't then I'd have

the valves checked and have 'em also look for flaking on the rocker arms

as for the $6K it all depends on how the bike is equipped... for a plain Jane 748 that's maybe high but for one that's been tricked out with Ohlins suspension and/or other goodies it could be a bargain

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

At best this bike is worth $5700. That's average retail from a bike shop. Private party sale would be best at keeping it around $5400 not including any performance upgrades. Remember that aftermarket upgrades (ie, exhaust) are worth half of the retail value. Mileage is high for a Duc. so that brings the price down as well. If the buyer and seller live in a market that allow them to have easy access to more than one Duc dealer have him meet you at a dealer he does not do business with and pay the shop rate for a thorough 1 hour inspection. After that go to the regular mechanic and ask for details. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 AM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

good choice the 748 is kind of a more fun street bike than 916. Probly be a motorcycle that will appreciate over time, too, they were really groundbreaking machines. I ever mention the perfect `69 GT500KR Shelby Mustang convertible i coulda bought in 1987 for $6900 if i woulda had $6900?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote