Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #61
manalagi001
Registered Member

Default Re: high mileage 748 = bad idea?

Like my earlier post says, used Ducatis are a good idea. But buying one as your first bike? I can't believe we've dedicated so much discussion to the topic. I don't have any problem with you buying a 748 after six months but jeez, don't be an idiot. All right, be an idiot. Whatever.

Would you give one of your kids a stick-shift sports car and say, "Have fun learning to drive, you only get to be a cool sports-car driving 16 year old once, you know!"

Criminy.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #62
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

yes I hear him too...."Fine Corinthan Leather ...

"...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #63
johnnyb
Founding Member

well cool then, have fun, i was serious about taking off the plastic. or go to marine store and get rubber bumpers to hang over sides. write and tell us how it goes.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #64
drthompson65
Founding Member

I went from Metric Sportbikes to a Ducati 999 and it was one of the best moves I ever made! While the GSXR, ZX10, R1 and RR produce a lot more power and are a lot cheaper this bike handles like a dream. I've also road a number of high milage ducs that still pull like a new bike out of the box. You need to be careful on the valves of course and you always will pay a bit more for Ducati so check out this Speedzilla site and ask the users there what they think.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=19
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #65
gjbedna
Registered Member

Love the DUC from a distance, buy a Honda with 23k on it, then ride it for another 23k, then sell it so somebody else so they can ride it for another 23k. Problem solved.
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #66
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Now that I think about it, the Volare' was not Ricardo's car. Ricardo was the pitchman for the Cordoba which of course came with fine Corinthian leather.

It was probably the same car but the Volare was a Plymouth and the Cordoba was a Chrysler.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #67
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Hell, buy it. You want it and won't be satisfied with anything less. Just don't whine too much about the maintenance costs or the scratched plastic once you drop it (preferably not at speed). Complaining about a Duc is like complaining about getting crabs from a prostitute -- it's part of the "experience."
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #68
pdad13
Founding Member

You are correct, Buz.

Besides "Cordoba" is Spanish (like Montelban), Volare is Italian (like Iacocca). Of course, both cars sucked unanimously in any language.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:02 AM   #69
giuliom
Registered Member

First bike? Sure, buy it! Darwin will love you... Just, please, if you live anywhere near LA, take it somewhere other than the Angeles Crest for fun. There are enough clueless squids going up there already, like the two guys on Ducatis a few weeks ago who coming down the Crest were holding me up (Honda NH 750) by taking every wrong line in every curve (lots of straying over the yellow line), twisting the throttle in the short straights, then scaring themselves and overbraking at every subsequent curve, while hanging out of their seat like they were Capirossi. It was fun to watch, in a morbid way, but I hung back because they were an accident waiting to happen. Get the bike, get some training, and I can still assure you that in a few years you'll look back and if you are still in one piece you will say to yourself: "Self, now that I know how to ride, I know I bad a rider I was then: should not have bought that stupid Duc."
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #70
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hey wait a minuite, were you wearing a black helmet?