Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #51
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: high mileage 748 = bad idea?

put your mother on the phone. seriously, if u like ducati, the Monsters are all over the place. there's even a M620 dark which is cool and like 6k brand spankin... great trainer and cool too.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #52
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Consider what the man has to say.

Listen to Burns on this one. At least consider a Monster before you jump at a supersport. The S2R is a sweet bike and will be much more newbie friendly. I'd like to have one myself.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #53
Vlad
Registered Member

The only flaw that I know of on the 748 is that they sometimes would have bad rocker arms/cam lobes, which would pit. Generally I have less concern about Ducks than Japanese sport bikes. The guys that own them are often more mature, and Ducks have better resale value. Shop around for the best deal. Yeah, they are uncomfortable, sometimes hot to ride, yada, yada. But they are rolling works of art. And the exhaust note is the finest in motorcycling. Maintenance is expensive. I have seen 20 year old Ducks I would not mind owning. Can't say the same for Japanese iron. Ducatis are, in my experience, more durable.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #54
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Consider what the man has to say, part II

Of course, I forgot to second the idea of a used Monster if you don't want to buy new.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #55
jameson
Founding Member

It's not so much that I like ducatis as it is their supersport bikes. My question wasn't if I should get this as my first bike but whether it is worth it for the price, mileage, and add-ons it's got. Also how reliable these Italian beauties are.

Vlad - very helpful thanks alot for your response!
jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #56
manalagi001
Registered Member

If it's been properly maintained at the specified intervals, is not in need of chain, brakes, tires, clutch and other consumables (which can quickly add up to $1000), has been garaged and looks perfect, then buy it. It may take some time to find one. Also, you can probably find a Low Mileage version for not much more, if not the same price, and then you'll really be fine since there won't have been any time for anything serioius to wear out or get out of spec. I kept my Monster up till 25K and it was still absolutely perfect-- maybe even better than new. These bikes are very high quality machines and will last indefinitely if properly maintained. Just look at the individual parts.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #57
ntropy748
Founding Member

I sold my 1999 yellow biposto 748 two years ago for $6500 (bought new for $13K) with 22K miles on it. Never had a mechanical problem (couple minor warranty issues) and though the valves were checked every 6000 miles (not cheap and too frequent for my tastes) they never required adjustment. In all, it was an amazing bike. If you're shopping used, I'd opt for the larger engine. A raised windshield and taller clip-ons help a lot on comfort. Ducati superbikes are about handling and all around performance and character, NOT drag racing. Be sure to get maintenance records and if you think the owner whipped the engine. pass on it.
ntropy748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #58
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Consider what the man has to say.

I totally agree. Don't buy a SS for your first bike. I did. Tires and maintenance are more expensive. Monsters are cool and should onlys have good resale value I think... Seems like a fun starter bike too. i.e. versatile.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #59
manalagi001
Registered Member

Guys, I'm only 36 but I can still hear the song in my head..."Volar´...! Volaré!" And the voice of Ricardo Montalban in the background? or am I trippin?
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #60
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"You'll get along better with one that likes to be ridden instead of one you have to worked on or send to the shop" This certainly applies to women as welll.....
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote