Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 07-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #11
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: high mileage 748 = bad idea?

Buz, that's just about perfect.

My feeling is; buy the bike you are passionate about, it won't be your last one.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Plus someday you'll get to tell your grandkids that you once owned one of the most beautiful sportbikes ever designed.

You'll never tell them about the great deal you got on a new, leftover SV1000
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #13
Fenton
Founding Member

I don't like high miles on sportbikes, period. You never know if 3000 of the miles were spent bouncing off the rev. limiter.

I own a multistrata now, had a '93 907ie and a bimota with the 904cc duc motor. One electrical problem is the only flaw.

You may be looking at major service a 24,000.(ie. every 12k) Your $6k just became 6,500.

I would shop around, you can find a spotless, low mile 748 for 6ish.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

All that ciggy money cost you a bad ass car.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 AM   #15
Grover
Founding Member

DEFINATELY ASK ABOUT THE ROCKER ARMS!!! This was a big problem for those bikes that caused a lot of headaches for a lot of people. If you're buying from the original owner he should know what you're talking about. The keyword you're looking to hear is "megacycled." On the other hand, if the bike has 23K on it and the rockers haven't taken a dump yet, odds are they'll be fine for a long time to come.

You might also want to inquire as to whether or not the owner has replaced the clutch slave cylinder with an aftermarket item. They were prone to leaking around that time. That said, my 2000 apparently had one of the "bad" slave cylinders and it's been fine for 30K miles now.

I'm not 100% sure but I think 24K will be the next scheduled maintenance, so keep that in mind when negotiating your price.

Like I mentioned before, I've got 30K on my Ducati and it has been absolutely rock solid the entire time. You obviously have been bitten by whatever it is about these bikes that makes them appeal to us, price/performance ratio be damned.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

24k is time for the big service. Valve adjust and cam belt replacement.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:42 AM   #17
litsey
Registered Member

I bought a '99 748 with 3200 miles for $5500 about 8 months ago and the only issue I have run into is some cooling gremlins. Like everyone else said, maintenance is key, if the owner does not have receipts you should walk. As for the price... you can definently do better, take a look at eBay.
litsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #18
johnnyb
Founding Member

dog with bone. i don't think i smoked yet then? i tried to get my dad to buy it, he got Volare wagon instead. There must be a lesson in there somewhere...

i wonder if bikes will ever take off like cars did in terms of $$$? I saw one those mustangs on barretjackson the other day and it went for like 60K. Nobody would've predicted that in 1978. H-D was on the ropes then, too...

wonder how many 748s Ducati built? there can't be that many...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #19
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I'll vouch for Buzz

I met a motorcycle messenger with 50+k miles on his 99 ST4. He said he's never even checked the valves on his bike. And it runs fine, believe me!

He also told me the 748s don't hold up as well because they get held at high RPMs more than the bigger motors; that's what wears the valves out.

If this is your dream bike, save up another $2k and get a nicer example.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #20
iamz
Founding Member

"Find one that's been well-maintained and buy it then. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to get something more practical. I'm serious.

Motorcycles are an impractical purchase for the most part. Get what you want. If you don't, you'll be sitting on that practical Honda or Suzuki at a stoplight and the Ducati will ride by with someone else on it and you'll feel sick that you didn't buy it."

I believe no truer words have ever been spoken at this site than these.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote