Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #31
tooths
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati ST3 or Yamaha FJR 1300

I commute everday, including winter, to work in Charlotte, NC, 50 miles round trip. I own a R1200GS and a Multistrada, and previously owned an FJR. The GS is the best choice in the winter and spring (frequent thunderstorms during the latter). I have a heated Corbin seat that comes in handy in the fall and winter. The Multistrada gets most of it's commuting miles in the summer and during fair-weather periods. Given the choices you propose, I'd pick a GS (if you can stomach the looks).
tooths is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #32
Drakko
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with the Ducati ST3 but I do have a bike similar to the Yamaha FJR 1300 (BMW R1150RT). The BMW is a good bike for the highway and going the distance but there are times when I find it quite heavy around town. I wouldn't really recommend it for city commuting unless you have a lot of highway before you reach the city. I had a Suzuki V-Strom (DL 1000) and if I'd have had the space to store it (and the time to ride it), I'd have kept it in addition to the BMW. It was a very nimble bike, quite reasonable on the highway and the one I'd have chosen to use for commuting in traffic. The only problem - it's for tall people. I'm 6'0" and I wouldn't recommend the bike to anyone shorter than 5'10" unless they stick with the DL 650 which is more suitable for shorter riders (5'8"+).
Drakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #33
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Let's hear it for the cheapie bin!

Yeah Buddy! If a new Bandit is a bargain, buying one used is like theft. With an after-market exhaust, they sound very "What the Hell's that!" cool.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #34
thePharaoh
Registered Member

Get a used Kaw Concours, paint it white, add a tank bag, Rifle windscreen, Gen-Mars; and wear a blue/black suit. The weight and inseam is a little high, but it's cheap, reliable, fast enough and look like a cop bike. Diplomatic Immunity!
thePharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #35
jaycar
Founding Member

I live in Washington, and commuted about ~100 miles each way on a variety of bikes for several years.

With all the rain here, the killer deal was an older Gold Wing (less depreciation, etc) because of the weather protection and luggage capacity.

A naked bike is appealing in traffic, but if you're going to ride as serious transportation, you need a way to carry stuff (gear, groceries, etc). For me, locking bags are necessary.

So, I'd agree that an older Beemer, or an ST1100, would be a great choice. The buy-in and insurance are cheaper, and you'll have some coin leftover for some gear and cheeseburgers.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #36
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default ItÂ’s still a bad idea!

Okay, letÂ’s put things into perspective.

While driving the belt-way, I actually saw a woman applying make-up, while coming down an on-rampÂ…during rush hour! IÂ’ve also seen drivers watching TV, reading newspapers, working on lap-tops, and some things that should occur in more appropriate settings. I saw these things because I was in a truck, looking down. And let me tell ya; ItÂ’s Scary!

When people are in their cars, they get stupid! And, other than Boston and Detroit, they donÂ’t get any dumber than around DC.

My advice? Drive your car to work, but buy the Ducati and go have fun. It an awesome bike, and perfect for the roads west of DC.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #37
samdance
Founding Member

Hmm....both are flawed at best....the Yamaha will roast your nuts......you will have to sell your nuts to pay the maintanance on the Duc......and it will also roast your legs. the heat is a big problem here in the south...VFR anyone??????
samdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #38
BMWMAURICE
Founding Member

another idea,

you could take the engine out of the Yammy and the steering out of the Duckeroo, and use them to build an ecomobile

http://www.ecomobile.com/

then you could have it all!
BMWMAURICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #39
HowardtheDuc
Registered Member

Have one of each and commute every day rain or shine. FJR is probably more comfy for long rides but not as nimble in traffic. Bottom line I've pretty much stopped riding the FJR completely. If you haven't tried the Multistrada its the best.
HowardtheDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #40
dp400pac
Registered Member

Motorcycling and surfing are very much alike in one respect. Ask any surfer how many boards they own . . . . One board can't do everything well, period! I don't know one dedicated surfer with only one surfboard!

Same with bikes.

However, Ducati may have come close to making a bike that does most things well. Next time your in the Ducati dealership, look at the Multistradas. Light, agile, cheap. They make 620s and 1000s. Read the reviews, not much to complain about.
dp400pac is offline   Reply With Quote