Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #21
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I sure hope you're allegic to krytonite

Having braved the belt way countless times, IÂ’d recommend an armored Checker Cab with a top-mounted machine gun. Actually, it might be safer building a giant slingshot in your backyard, and launching yourself to work.

However, if you can’t be dissuaded from suicide, I wouldn’t choose either. I’d recommend an adventure tourer, the riding position allows for better visibility – a 650 V-Strom would be my choice. Forget about dodging in and out of traffic, were talking about basic survival here. The more you see, the earlier you can recognize a problem and react. Otherwise, you might want to consider upping your life insurance.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #22
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: I sure hope you're allegic to krytonite

"I’d recommend an adventure tourer, the riding position allows for better visibility – a 650 V-Strom would be my choice. Forget about dodging in and out of traffic, were talking about basic survival here. The more you see, the earlier you can recognize a problem and react. Otherwise, you might want to consider upping your life insurance."

Good points, especially about recognizing problems early!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:11 AM   #23
BiggerTwin
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati ST3 or Yamaha FJR 1300

Motorcycles are primarily emotional choices and you will usually be happiest on the bike you like the most. However, for daily commuting in traffic, a lighter narrower motorcycle will perform the best. My Suzuki SV650 and Ducati Monster S4 did very well in New York City commuting. With a BMW K1200RS I couldnÂ’t lane split with the bags on and lost all the advantages of being on a motorcycle in traffic.

I have owned 5 Ducatis and while I loved them, they arenÂ’t as reliable as other brands and you need a very good dealer who can get parts fast if you want to use one for daily transportation. The FJR I rode threw off a lot of heat and I passed on it. While expensive, the new BMW R1200RT would probably be my choice for a sport touring motorcycle I was going to use for serious transportation and not just weekend fun.

Alan
BiggerTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:25 AM   #24
Whatmough
Founding Member

How about the ZRX1200? Plenty of power, comfort and easy to find used cheap. Put on a tank bag and/or tail bag and you're in business. In the kind of traffic aroung the beltway you're going to want something w/o side bags. You'll be spending an awful lot of time stopped; but with a narrow street fighter it will be much easier to get AROUND.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:18 AM   #25
triumph900
Founding Member

If you're looking to commute around the DC area (as I do), then the FJR may not be the bike for you. I can only offer 2nd hand information about this, but my boss has a FJR, and he does complain about the heat it generates. He rides the beltway, I66 etc., and he reports that the bike can be uncomfortable when the temp elevates. But I will tell you that aside from the heat, he loves the bike.

BTW - Have you considered the new Triumph Sprint ST?
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:37 AM   #26
Steve5854
Founding Member

I am 51 and bought my first bike at 14 and have pretty much always riden. Along the way I have had about everything, including American, English, German, Italian and Japanese motorcycles of all types. I currently have an '02 Road King Classic and an '04 ST3. I LOVE the ST3 and would urge you to seriously consider it. It is truly a breath of fresh air. Ducati must have a reputation for being expensive as many of the posts note this, and some of their bikes are (999R, etc). But the ST3 is a deal. It lists for $11,995 with bags. However, there are still some '04's out there which are being discounted and you can get one for less than $11,000. Even an '05 will be less than $11,995 at most dealers. And if this is too much I have seen '04's and '05's out there with very low miles for under $10,000. I agree with the comment regarding the clutch, but at very reasonable cost you can remedy that with a new clutch cylinder which eases the pull and a vented cover which helps the clutch keep cool and this is only a factor for the '04 as the '05 has gone to a wet clutch and an easier pull. I find the riding position very comfortable - I can go a tankful of gas without getting off - and unless you have very short legs the seat height is very reasonable. The ST3 is easy to work on and any person who can read and follow instructions can do the service. I have owned three BMW's, an R69s, an R90s and an R1100R and they are very nice bikes which have their own issues and lack the pasion found with the Ducatis - they are like kissing your sister compared to the Ducati. So go with the Ducati, I do not think you will regret it.
Steve5854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #27
SRMark
Founding Member

DC traffic on such nice bikes? Get a beater for that and ride the ST3 on the great roads that surround that urban mess. I hate the way Yamaha sells the FJR so that's the reason for the Duc nod.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:22 AM   #28
955tri
Registered Member

Forget either of those and get a Honda VFR800 Intercerptor! You can get great deals on them these days, so that with hard bags, helibars..etc. it will still be miles cheaper than the Duc or the Yam, and more importantly you'll then own one of the Holy Trinity of motorcycles.
955tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #29
motonut_1
Founding Member

Uh, don't buy an '05 and put a ventilated clutch cover on it. All your oil will leak out the vents. Ducati went to wet clutches on the '05 touring bikes
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #30
bbtowns
Founding Member

As someone who has 6 bikes in the garage, including an ST4s currently, and an FJR recently, along with a V-Strom now (and a mess of others) I'd say the following: The Ducati isn't a traffic bike, my ST4s is geared to high for stop and go traffic, even though I've geared it down. The FJR is too hot for stop and go traffic, even though I insulated it additionally, though if you're moving at least 40 the whole time the insulation was sufficient to do the trick. If I had to pick one of the two of these bikes for commuting, I'd pull my hair out. The Ducati was my favorite of the two, but because it's a blast on a twisty road, not because it commutes well. I'll agree with everyone else and say my two best commuters are an R1100RSL and a V-Strom. Neither gets overly hot, both can go 10 mph without working the clutch, both are reliable and get great mileage, and both use relatively inexpensive and commonly available tires (unlike the Duc, which burns through tires every 5K miles even when I try to install a higher mileage product). Just my $.00002.