Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati ST3 or Yamaha FJR 1300

I am trying to make the same decision that you are right now.

The Yammie is a great sport tourer, but I would not want it as a daily commuter. I have heard it puts off too much heat in traffic. It also has a dry weight (according to Yamaha) of 537 pounds, making it a full 90 lbs heavier than the Ducati. I would definitely not want to negotiate traffic on a 500+ pound bike. I am trying to do that now on a BMW and I am not made happy by it.

To me the choice is between the VFR and the ST3. I love the Duc, and it is lighter than the VFR, but the VFR can be bought out the door from a local dealer for under $10,000, with ABS, which Ducati doesn't fit on the ST3. I agree with MO, ride 'em before you decide. Go to the Honda Hoot and you should be able to ride both, or all three, at the test ride tents.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
BMWMAURICE
Founding Member

Mr. Miles, I do understand your question,

However I would like to make a suggestion. Go ride a used BMW R bike. It has some of the "romance" of the duck, and is plenty fast enough. I truly like all bikes. It is just that I tend to be practical. Now if you have tons of cash burning a hole in your pocket, I guess you could afford to experiment and buy ( and sell) a few till you get what you are looking for.

Here are some of the really strong points for a R BMW.

* The jugs will save your baconÂ…b.t.d.t.g.t.t.

* If you are mechanically inclined, you can do much of the work yourself and save lots of bucks.

* They hold their value better than a UJMÂ…not sure about the Duc

* IT is easy ( as things can be that) to get service on a BMW. Be sure you look into that no matter what you buy.

* There is an old saying. "there are those that own a BMW and those that will". I do not say this in a derogatory way about other bikes. You just have to go ride one for a while. They really do fit the bill for many folks.

* SAFETY Â… did you realize that they have Anti Lock Brakes? Regardless of what some will say ( negatively) they are flat out awesome and will with out question give you an edge on some rainy commute when what you were doing was thinking about the day instead of the cage in front of you! We all do this, some just wonÂ’t admit it.

Like I said, ALL one –wheel drive machines are awesome. But few will give you sheer riding pleasure day after day in the manner that a BMW will.

* The jump to a FRJ1300 size bike is huge ! It has a lot of power and will bite you unless you are a capable rider. Not that the BMW won’t, but it is more forgiving. BMW ‘s do haul butt as well. I have a 99 GS, for commuting and can embarrass many squids. BTGTTT as well.

* Heck if you want to spend the money, a 2005 BMW R1200GS is hard to beatÂ…WITH ANYTHING!!

*I do understand about the looks of a twin. They are an acquired taste as it were. BUT after you cover a 700 mile day on it the first time you will come to love the profile!!!!!!!!!

*These concepts are hard to put into words. GO ride a few bimmers. They may or may not fit the bill. You have every thing to gain by looking and thinking it through.

* And last but not least, if ya gotta have power, and the "stream-Lined " look, the K12S is plenty fast, and looks good ( compared to jugsÂ….for some people).

BMWMAURICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
pudlepirate
Registered Member

very happy with my 04 speed triple, ergos fine for a 60 mile comute, not bad in trafic if you have a tough left paw, protection from the elements leaves some to be desired though.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
squidly51
Founding Member

I own a Harley Road King. Often ride with a Ducatista. They always laugh about how Harleys are unreliable junk. But guess what! This guy owns a couple of the Eyetalian bikes. And believe me they all spend more time in the shop with wierd electrical and brake and leak problems then my RK (or last three HD's) have.

BUT, if I were to commute, I'd go with the BMW F650. Now there's a great all around bike.

squidly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Inexpensive, stone reliable, capable of just about anything?

1200 Bandit.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
NGC7006
Founding Member

Well, I just bought an '05 R1200GS and am pleased with it. It ain't exactly pretty, but it is a truly fine all 'rounder. You can ride the thing damn near forever it's so comfortable. In a little over two months I've got almost 6K on it and have several 600+ mile days under my belt. I also commute about 45 miles a day on it routinely. You really appreciate the hand guards and heated grips on those 35-40 degree mornings and the tall upright riding position is great in traffic.

The GS is not as fast as either bike you're considering though it's still plenty fast in real world riding. It's great handler, and likely the best of the three when the roads get narrow or rough. It has it's quirks like the power/linked brakes which initially take some getting used to and the poorly conceived turn signal switches. Admittedly way expensive, but worth it in my opinion. One vote for the R12.
NGC7006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #17
Weezel
Registered Member

Believe it or not but the F650GS (not CS) is a great commuter bike. Breeze through construction zones, gravel, sand, dodge traffic with ease, sit high and upright and see everything, and cruise the slab with ease. Not very glamorous, but there's a reason it's one of the most popuar commuter bikes in Europe. Just an alternative to the little Strom that I like.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
Neal
Founding Member

Living near Dc Im not sure you want a fully faired and bagged bike for daily city commuting.Not sure where your commute is but there's a good chance that you will have your expensive plastic damaged . the sport tourers would be great for weekend and day trips down into Virginia Mountains or up into amish Country but Im not sure its the best tool for negotiating the snake pit that is DC metro area during rush hour. If you definitely want the sport tourer,get the one that is lighter and most maneuverable and with removable bags. I think the DUC probably meets this criteria best,but Im guessing replacing plastic is expensive,,,GOOD LUCK!!!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #19
Fenton
Founding Member

Except being attractive. I'm just playing. I considered one when I bought my ZRX. The bandit is a better all around bike, no question.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

I changed my mind. '05 KLR 650 and you pick the "sport" bike of your choice. Ride which ever feels good when you wake up.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote