Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #21
TXsodbuster
Founding Member

Default Re: Valve adjust on a Duc?

Found a decent deal on a new '04 ST3, and temptation will most likely overcome good sense. The ducatitech site scares me, but ducatisuite is very informative. I'm NOT Mr. Goodwrench. 500 miles on chain adjustment? Forget it. I do that much each day on my summer ride. My dealer tells me it'll be about $450 for the 6,000 mi. service. Maybe I'm just cheap (or lazy or demanding) but a daily rider shouldn't be this much work.
TXsodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #22
ruister
Founding Member

If good sense had anything to do with it we would all be driving Honda Civics!
ruister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #23
YellowDuck
Founding Member

I'll confirm what someone else said - I have 23,000 miles on my SS and it has needed exactly one shim changed. No biggee. I only have experience with the air cooled models, but I doubt the ST3 is a whole lot different.

Checking the valves is dead simple. Adjusting openers is easy enough, but closers are a little trickier. Still easier than pulling cams to do shims under buckets though! And the 6000-mile interval is on the conservative side, given that they have now gone to harder valve seats.

YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #24
Vlad
Registered Member

The EFM is set by the factory for when the valves are in adjustment. So "adjusting" your valves should merely put you back to where you should have been all along. In other words, no, you don't need to recalibrate.

Francis

Note on door:

"I have left to find myself. In the event I should return before I get back, please keep me here until I show up."
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #25
f4ik9
Founding Member

What kind of SS do you have? I've always wanted one.
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #26
danphoto
Registered Member

>Can't speak from experience, but machines are machines. Check this link:

>http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9504_hand/

Just one problem on this page. The writer states, "Valves tend to sink into their seats as the motor wears in, so the clearance should get looser." This is not correct. As valves sink into their seats, the clearance between stem and rocker (or bucket and cam) decreases and makes the valves tighten.

Hope this helps someone.

Dan
danphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #27
GrufRude
Registered Member

I saw that comment too, but it may be that the CLOSING rocker clearance (desmo actuation) does get looser.
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #28
hooter13
Registered Member

The people at the dealerships will say the valves are due at 10,000. Ask him 10,000 what? the answer is 10,000 km or 6000 miles. My 600 mile check up in my 05 st3 cost me $250.00. I am expecting a $350.00 + for the 6000 mile tune up because they will replace the cam belts at that time. I will try to do most of the work myself after the warrenty is off.
hooter13 is offline   Reply With Quote