Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #81
earthspirit60
Registered Member

Default Re: '05 Monster 620 or CBR600rr for 1st Bike?

Honestly, the CBR_RR as a first bike?!?! Yikes!

The Duck is a better choice and cooler because you won't "see yourself" every 20 minutes. The only downside is the desmo maintenance costs. I would also look at the Buell City bike with the neat translucent tank.

The CBR-RR...too much bike and too narowly focused, IMHO
earthspirit60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #82
sconley
Founding Member

Get a used Monster 750... I for one could be about 90-percent as happy on a left-over 750 Dark Monster for not much more than what you'd have to give for an SV650... Is it still plagiarizm if you give it back to the source you stole it from? If so, my apologies Mr. Burns.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #83
ingenthr
Registered Member

Hey, that's what I just did!

I took the MSF last year, dinked around for a bit looking at different bikes, considered the SV, the Honda 599 (before they killed it in the US) but ulitmately kept looking back at the S2R.

I don't have enough experience to tell you for sure that it's a great bike, but I'm having fun on it. It's beautiful to look at, got it OTD for not much more than the Honda 599 listed for, and I bet within 2 years it'll have depreciated less than an SV-650 would have.

L.A. Cyclesport in Los Angeles is sitting on a 599 I'm sure they'd let go really cheap if you're looking for a 600cc Honda. It's been sitting there since December of last year.
ingenthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #84
jjasper
Founding Member

Default Re: Whenever I hear a question phrased like this...

I love every second I am on my ugly overpriced F650!

With the gas tank below the seat and being a big thumper it is the most fun I have had on 2 wheels. To put it into perspective my last bike was an SV-650 (another Really fun bike). The F650 is much more utilitarian and even handles better for me than the SV because of the LOW COG. If you take off the windscreen and rear rack it looks like a funky motard, replace the can too to show off the sexy single sided swin-garm.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:57 AM   #85
jcx
Founding Member

I am 35 too and I have started two years ago wiht CBR600RR. Nothing wrong with it. Super. This season I've changed for Buell xb9sx, but my girlfriend is missing CBR, for her it was more scary (for me too). CBR has a minus - nobody wants to compete with it from green light.
jcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #86
SRMark
Founding Member

I thought the Honda was a Timex
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:26 AM   #87
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Important off topic point

Are you suggesting he ride a horse? Go Ago!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:46 AM   #88
ironbutter
Founding Member

It's amazing so many readers are so egotistical they have to blab on and on about THEIR idea of the ideal first bike when you have clearly stated the obvious. That is, you have already narrowed it down to the 2 bikes you lust after--and I might add both are reasonable compared to the idiotic choices a lot of newbies are making these days. That said I'd have to recommend the Duc. You will find it more comfortable, enjoyable, versatile bike than any razor-edged sportbike. You don't need all those ponies yet. In fact you won't ever need them for the purposes you described. And then there's that intangible factor the MOrons mentioned. Couldn't agree with them more re the little Monster. OTOH, the GB500 was the last streetbike Honda ever made with a personality.

Above all remember there are 10 rules for buying a motorcycle. The first 5 are "Get the one YOU like!" and the rest nobody remembers cuz they don't matter.
ironbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:12 AM   #89
Stonedog
Founding Member

You guys are joking, right?

Why would anyone *start* on a 120+ HP bike?

Go for the S2R, that's what I'm going to do (but I'm only 32).

Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #90
Jan Sullins
Registered Member

Go with the Ducati! I have a 06 Multistrada 620 and it is great! Cettainly not as fast as a Honda 599 in the 1/4 mile but once we get to the twisties he will be looking at my underseat exhaust.
The Monster 620 or 695 is going to a little faster than mine because of weight and HP(Monster 695). When you ride a Ducati you finally realize what all the fuss is about.
Believe it or not they are very high quality and super eficient. Mine gets over 50 mpg and even though I am 55 years old I don't ride it like I am. It just begs to faster. It is agile quick, great suspension and the Desmo motor can't be beat as far as smooth power for a L twin.

Jan Sullins
Jan Sullins is offline   Reply With Quote