Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #51
iamz
Founding Member

Default Yes I know this first hand.

Ill. Farmers insurance quoted over $900 for a Buell xb9s lightning with a $500 deductable.

State Farm quoted $645 for the same Buell with the same deductable.

Ill. Farmers quoted $180 on the 620 with a $500 deductable.

Never checked with State Farm but I'm guessing since they were lower on the Buell, they would also be able to at least match Farmers $180 quote on the 620.

Any more questions?

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: '05 Monster 620 or CBR600rr for 1st Bike?

Stop it, you big meanie.

Seriously, I was at Salt Lake Honda/Suzuki this morning and they've got some nice new red 650V-Stroms in this week. Very nice bikes. If I weren't hot for a Speed Triple I'd be very tempted.

I was looking at Suzuki's new 400 motard also. Looks nice, but the seat would be sheer murder after a very short time.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #53
pattonme
Founding Member

if you have a 'rex 1100 a Z750 or Z1000 is a pointless exercise. Neither bike have decent suspension. You already do. The Z's also are vibey, the 'rex less so.

The XB's are grossly overpriced. small, tight, even cramped (5'11 190lbs) they are cool if you want to pretend you're on the sharp-end of a missile but not what I'd consider top-flight equipment. HD's quality control is disturbingly spotty.

If you want light and nimble, try the SV650. Then you'll realize how much fun the smaller bikes really are.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The Speed Triples are almost impossible to get around here. I may have to look elsewhere for my addiction.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #55
pattonme
Founding Member

Default what else can I add? used, used, used, used, used, used, used!

I guess that sums it up. Only the clueless buy new bikes to start on and the curse of eternal damnation to every single salesman who sells unlicensed or new riders GSXR's and the like.

Yesturday I watch in horror as some inner-city dork bought a GSXR600 as his first bike in "several years" without an M and without taking any training. He could barely figure out what control did what. And his fas-ass croney was going on "lift it up, lift it up. I got it up. I don't need any training, I taught myself. That 600 is weak, I need a thou" etc. Going 35+ in a very tight parking lot with cars pulling in and out. The salesman excused himself after watching the inept struggle with just basic paddling saying "I can't watch any longer." Ya think? Why don't you take his keys away and tell him he can have his bike back when he's passed the MSF course and gotten an M. And knock a $100 off the price upon doing so. And another $100 coupon for taking the advanced course.

Personal responsibility is obviously the domain of the rider, but frankly it's WAY overdue on the part of the salesman/dealership. If gunmakers and aircraft manufacturers can be sued because a user of said product is a waste of humanity, I want to see dealerships sued into oblivion for selling bikes to people who haven't a clue and have taken NO efforts to comply with the law.

Was your first car a 0mile mustang? Don't think so.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #56
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Dear 35 and Clueless,

Better do some more research. You narrowed your choice down to two motorcycles that are very different from one another. You're beyond advice.

I'm sure whatever bike you finally choose will be the "right choice". At least that's what you'll be telling everyone right?
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #57
Fenton
Founding Member

Can I use that one to field any buy buying decision?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #58
MikeSchinkel
Founding Member

I have a WeeStrom (DL650) and agree it is a GREAT beginners bike assuming one is not short in stature, but it is butt-ugly!

Second best would be the SV650, and they are relatively inexpensive when used.

A new GS500 would be great too for the style conscious because it looks like a GSXR.

Of course if Ed has his heart set on only those two options, the Duke gets 100% of my vote; I wouldn't even consider the RR.

Hell, I own a 1000cc V-Twin superbike for track days, and I myself would be scared to ride the Honda 600RR.
MikeSchinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #59
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I guess no one is riding today. I just got back from a 250 miler on the Brutale! I don't know how to say iron butt in Italian but Mama Mia!

Unusually cold here in Socal as well. We rode up over the mountain pass through Idylwild and I was wearing summer gear at 6000 ft and there was snow on the ground. My fingers were so frozen I could hardly grip the front brake lever.

We dropped down into Palm Springs and it was 80 degrees and I was able to thaw.

I think I can drop the Lame Poser handle after that one!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #60
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Longride, check out the new edition of CW. They have a nice write up on the trip. Be sure to take a look at the small picture on the contents page, Talk about your tail light dragging wheelie! Of course when you read it, it'll just make you all the more frustrated. Sorry, VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote