Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-07-2005, 04:15 AM   #31
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: '05 Monster 620 or CBR600rr for 1st Bike?

I'm glad you qualified your choices by saying you are "fairly responsible". If you were completely irresponsible, I would have recommended a ZX-10R
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2005, 04:37 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

That's what they all say.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:42 AM   #33
jawzx
Registered Member

SRMark mentioned the new Suzuki motard (based on the 400 DS), and I'm with him on the SM route (you can pry my MZ SM-125 from my cold, dead hands!) but you should also check out the MZ Baghira SuperMoto. It's a very unique styled bike, very comfy, comes in a "height reduced" version for the verticaly challenged, handles like gang-busters, and is powered by the rock-solid Yamaha 660 single. It's also cheaper than the Suzuki. If you have an MZ dealer near you, go check it out. Also the two year un-limited mileage waranty is nice.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:44 AM   #34
SEG
Founding Member

Default MZ 1000 S - Any owners out there?

I'm seriously considering an MZ 1000 S. I test rode a 1000 S a few months ago and it was excellent. The MCN Jan 05 review of the 1000 S was very accurate. Is there anyone out there who owns an MZ 1000 S? If so, I'd like to read opinions on the bike. The MZ 1000 SF is supposed to arrive in the U.S. this summer, I may test that one too, for comparison purposes. I've already got a Moto Guzzi EV that can handle the commuting/long haul trips so I can either go sport touring (1000 S) or a naked bike (1000 SF). The liter size MZ bikes have not been around long, and not that long in the U.S. Thanks in advance for the comments.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:48 AM   #35
iamz
Founding Member

Default Consider insurance costs.

Insurance on the Monster 620 will be about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of insurance for the Buell. there are too many hooligans out there thrashing and trashing the Buells driving up insurance costs.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:53 AM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

I agree, the Honda Concours and Yamaha VFR are really cool bikes. You don't have to buy an older one though they all look the same no matter what year you get.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 AM   #37
iamz
Founding Member

Just read your post after posting above. I don't know about the insurance costs for the CBR600rr, but if they are the same as the xb9 I was referring to above, he could expect to save about $400 bucks every year with the 620. You're right, that could easily make up the difference in maintenance costs.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #38
johnnyquest
Registered Member

My first love was a Duc 620, a special edition Capirex model they had at my local dealership. This was last year, I was 33 and new to motorcycling. I even bought a red jacket and helmet because I new I was going to buy this bike. Then, I had a change of heart. I realized I was going to spend close to 10 grand on my very first motorcycle, kinda freaked me out. So instead I looked for used, for something reliable and inexpensive. Found a BMW K75s with 19400 miles on it for $3500. Since then I've come to realize I will never own a motorcycle that doesn't have lockable hard luggage, having bags on my bimmer is the best, even for commuting. Bringing my lunch or extra street clothes is a non issue. And IMO the bike is still sporty enough for a newbie like me to enjoy. The point to my reply? Don't rule out sport touring machines, still fun and very practical. I'm riding mine from Tucson to Vegas for a week long business trip, between my hard bags and tank bags I have plenty of storage for a week's worth of clothes. This wouldn't be an optioin on a plain monster 620. If you start riding and enjoy it as much as I do, you may want a bike with longer legs and more storage is all I'm saying. Good luck and ride safe!

JQ
Old 05-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #39
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Most BMW GS owners I've met or chatted with absolutely love their machines, swear they're the best thing since sliced bread! An experienced GS rider would probably keep up with an average rider on an R1 in most conditions so I've been told. They're more expensive, but they'll run forever.

BTW, from one military member to another, thanks for serving and be safe over there!

JQ
Old 05-07-2005, 05:09 AM   #40
everiman
Registered Member

Either bike will be OK for a 'responsible' older rider. Don't buy a bike you don't want just for learning. The Ducati will be more comfortable unless you ride nothing but twisty roads in bad weather. The Ducati (or any naked bike) will survive crashes and tipovers better than bikes with body work. The Ducati will likely hold its value better than the Honda if and when you ever want to sell. If you put on lots of miles the Ducati will cost more for service, but the Honda will cost you more for tires. Either bike is a keeper if you decide never to buy another bike, but the Ducati is the one that will be the most desirable as it gets older.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote