Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #21
uway
Registered Member

Default Re: '05 Monster 620 or CBR600rr for 1st Bike?

thanks, appreciate the welcome, and I've done lots of time on these types of boards before (non-MC), so I know the flame war drill. i dont plan to engage in any. computers suck away enough of my soul without me degrading and being degraded by complete strangers who share my interests.
uway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #22
uway
Registered Member

fwiw, I've already dropped the zrx1100 that I practice on (ALL of my street experience is on this fat but fun bike). the first time was the very first time I let the clutch out, the second time was during a low-speed u-turn when grabbing a handful of front brake (yes, it's stupid, but i was 19 at the time, and you're allowed to be stupid at 19). so maybe I've got the dropping out of my system and I'd be fine on an 05 zzr 600? or maybe a z750s? or even the z1000 that my dad keeps suggesting. what I REALLY want is an '03 xb9s, but I dont know who to believe about those Buells. i just know they put a fire in my belly. i'm very open to suggestion.
uway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #23
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Give me five minutes and a sledgehammer...

Seriously, every BMW intro reveals fresh horrors. There's hope!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #24
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Buy used if you can think rational about. I know buying a bike is an emotional experience but if you can buy a used bike do it. It will save you a ton of money. Your first couple of years are going to be learning miles ...meaning slow stuff. Why put those type of miles on a new bike. My first bike was a sportbike I went through a lot of expensive tires only wearing out the center of them cause I rode like a newbie. Also maintenance intervals should be considered. If you sucumb to lust I would pick the Ducati. The V-Twin gives friendly power and a better riding position for a newbie
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:16 AM   #25
Fenton
Founding Member

USED! I really would encourage more of a standard type of bike or even a DP bike. The leverage advantage from the bars and riding position is going to be more forgiving and give a "new" rider much more confidence. The last thing you want to do is start on a bike that demands a high degree of rider input to use properly.

Best of luck.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:18 AM   #26
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

Of your choices go with the ducati but please reconsider the suzuki sv650. If it's your first bike you might want to consider resale value because if you really get into it you are going to buy another bike. So buy used or buy a new bike with good resale value. The two that I know of are the suzuki 650 or a harley sportster. Think of them as your pathway to your next bike.
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:55 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Whenever I hear a question phrased like this...

Ha! You've got a loooong way to fall yet, dude.

There's still the F650Cs.

Then the 1200C. I still break out into laughter each time I see one. Then I wonder what evil styling plot BMW is hatching next.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:56 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

I have to second all the people who are recommending the SV650.

THe other best possible choices are the Concours and VFR (older one).
Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 AM   #29
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Try this

Get a used Ducati, preferably a mid 90's model like a decent 900ss or 750ss. They have approximately similar power to the 600, weigh a bit more, are a heck of a lot more comfortable, and they will not lose any resale value (unless you rash the heck out of them). Spares are still available from the factory for a few more years, and they seem to sell on ebay for about $3000 - $5500 depending on model/condition.

They're a hoot to ride, relatively reliable, inexpensive to own, and inexpensive to insure. I also believe that because of their construction and geometry they are a good beginner bike - nice a easy to lean into corner, less chance to drop in a parking lot (the seat is nice and low). If you find one with full fairing they are gorgeous as well. And just 'cause they're italian, I guarantee that they'll be a babe magnet.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:13 AM   #30
rock06r
Founding Member

SV is a GREAT choice. A friend of mine just sold his - he had the original model year with the rounded frame. Gorgeous bike, super reliable, great ride. And a fantastic value as well. What else could you ask for?
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote