Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Ducati Monster 620 Break-In (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/2752-ducati-monster-620-break.html)

pushrod 04-22-2005 11:16 AM

Re: Ducati Monster 620 Break-In

I don't think so, Tim.

Tigercub 04-22-2005 11:16 AM

I read recently from a well-known engine tech - of course now I can't remember his name - who said that break-in is going to occur sooner or later depending on how fast you spin the motor and how frequently. The same process of mating one part against another will occur no matter how you break it in.

So, why the long break-in periods. This guy thinks the reason has more to do with the potential for matching a relatively inexperienced rider with a high performance bike and fresh tires. The break-in period allows the rider to adjust to the new machine. And like one of the posts above, new engines from the factory are spun up to redline. Even old Brit bikes from decades ago were spun up to redlne before they were sold. It starts the break-in process.

The only exception to all this is running in a recently rebuilt old air-cooled motor with aluminum piston in an iron bore. The piston-cylinder clearance may be a bit too close because engine rebuilders may not know how to precisely set up these motors. The result would be a seized piston.

memery748 04-22-2005 11:28 AM

I'm glad you asked because I'm in the identical situation with my Duc ST4S. Some of what I've seen on Ducati discussion boards suggest there are a hard-core group of Ducati fanatics who follow incredibly anal regimen for break in.

The Ducati dealer tech who went over the bike with me when I bought it pretty much supported the concensus here. Rev it up once in a while, don't lug it, don't abuse it, get your 600 mile check mostly for the oil change and belt tightening.. but get it done. (In fact, he suggested getting the check somewhere between 600-800 miles. Not to soon.)

As in most things in life, have fun, indulge with moderation, show a little common sense....

pushrod 04-22-2005 11:28 AM

Maladg,

I was about to post when I saw yours. I've got to toss in my two centavo's.

When I was breaking in my H-D Evo after re-ringing it and putting Bartels' heads on it, I was told (by Bartels):

keep the revs below 3000-3500 for the first 100 miles (remember, this is a 1340);

vary the load on the engine; and most importantly,

NEVER engine brake.

The idea IIRC, was to keep pressure on the rings while they were seating.

'Course, there was this guy down the street that used to break-in his stock car motors by starting and running them for several minutes before he put oil in them. I guess he wasn't after longevity.

danrogy 04-22-2005 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info! What a great websaite you've shown me...

-Dan

danrogy 04-22-2005 12:28 PM

Ya know, my first bike was a Suzuki GN125, so this is really my first bike. I am DAZZLED by the Duc's acceleration, particularly down low. I also feel like there's more around 8500 RPM that I won't yet get to enjoy. It really seems happiest smokin past cars in traffic and begins to wheeze at highway speeds. There's SO much more bike for me to explore after only 350 miles, so in another 1000 miles or so I'm gonna do a proper review.

-Dan

danrogy 04-22-2005 12:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, but what is this "common sense" you speak of? I do however like to moderate my moderation...

-Dan

Buzglyd 04-22-2005 01:12 PM

and don't forget to pop a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket on it while you're at it. The ST4s is notorious for "Bonneville" gearing.

torrnado 04-22-2005 01:24 PM

Vlad 04-22-2005 04:26 PM

Revving it up every once in a while is not a problem, but full throttle starts from a standing start are a no-no, since the oil may not yet be flowing well when you start. You probably meant that anyway, but I thought I'd throw that in.

So, no drag racing until you have the sucker seated right.

Francis