Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 04-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #11
vritual_stas
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster 620 Break-In

There will be no problems with occassional red-lining whatsoever.

The only thing - I really recommend to change an oil by yourself. It's very easy, but you will avoid all the problems caused by dealer saving a few bucks and putting in some cheapo oil instead of something at least appropriate.
vritual_stas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
sconley
Founding Member

As a multi-Ducati owner I was apart of Ducati's customer satisfaction/quality survey that was later published and can be found on the web somewhere... But the most interesting ratio they did was comparing self-reported break-in habits and future complications with Ducati's by model. Those that followed Ducati's recommended break-in to the "T" actually reported the most engine/transmission problems later on when compared to those that self-reported ignoring the break-in guidelines. It's not necessarily break-in miles as it is heat cycles anyway... Some also claim the rings won't seat properly without goosing it... Whatever you decide to go with, seating the rings to the wall happens on the first ride or two, not 1500 miles as Ducati states. Like many others have stated, your bike will be fine...
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:01 AM   #13
xmike5
Founding Member

Default Hacking Fastest

Did anyone notice that Jamie Hacking just posted the fastest time today at Barber. How does he do it with that #2 bike that SA could barely ride?
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
xmike5
Founding Member

Default Re: Hacking Fastest

Must have been Sean's setup tips.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
LA
Registered Member

Yes, you are in deep *****.
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #16
Marin_Cycleworks
Registered Member

Interesting piece. While it's true you can't hurt your engine by changing your oil too often, this guy jumps to 100% synthetic way too early, in our humble opinions. Some of those synths are so "good" they'll pretty much stop break-in right then and there, and 50 miles really isn't enough time. We'd say at least 1000 miles before using 100% synth, but if you want to change oil and filter every 20 feet go ahead.

He doesn't distinguish between water-cooled vs. air-cooled engines. A/C will have more noticeable changes during break in, due to their greater tolerances (i.e. bigger gaps in ring spacing, piston to bore etc.) and we'd be a little more conservative before pounding them. Especially with an older design like Ducati's 620, essentially an early-80's Pantah variant. After break-in, though, that motor seems to run a lot better if you beat the tar out of it instead of babying it.

Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

I follow the break it in fast it'll run fast school of thought myself. Most break in recomendations state you should vary the rpm, so I run my new bikes up and down the gears as much as possible. You want some RPM to set the rings while the cylinders still have the factory cross-hatching in them. Once that's worn smooth they'll never seat.

In fact the only thing I go easy on with new bikes is the brakes and tires till they're scuffed in good. I figure if there's a weak spot in the engine or drive train I want to find it as soon as possible, not when it's out of warranty and I have to eat it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Just hold that sucker wide open, 'till she loosens up some.

No, seriously, here's how I break in stuff:

1: No "same" rpm cruising for extended periods (lugging verboten!).

2: Frequent stops for the first 500 miles to let the engine cool off.

3: A "full throttle" run through the gears every now and then.

4: An oil change and philter after the first 500 miles. Canister for you. And get the stanless filter (if the 620 has one).

You didn't hurt anything. In fact, you probably helped it.

And if you're breaking in an air-cooled 4 stroke I'd advise using a non-detergent single-grade oil for the first 200 miles (Valvolene 40). Helps hone in them thar parts real guud. Scuffs up the bore for an excellent ring seat.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
maladg
Registered Member

Lots o' good advice above. The only things I have to add are:

1. Rev it up & roll off using a lot of engine braking.

2. Change oil early & often.

And don't forget to have a LOT of fun!!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #20
maladg
Registered Member

Hey, ain't 600cc inline fours supposed to be the ultimate?
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote