Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Ducati gearbox problem? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2715)

pplassm 03-30-2005 03:38 PM

Re: Ducati gearbox problem?

I have a friend, who used to be a Ducati mechanic, and he had almost the same thing happen to a 900SS. Luckily, he was getting parts at cost at the time.

These stories scare me away from the brand. Too many stories for the number of bikes on the road.

giuliom 03-30-2005 03:47 PM

I found the reference. Motorcyclist magazine, Dec. 2004, p. 26. Roland Brown was testing Ducati's 999 (the basic, not the R) at the Mugello circuit in Italy: "My bike's only problem was a gearbox that shifted less sweetly than usual before eventually sticking in fourth, which cut short my final session." The other bikes used were OK. Boys and girls, this is for the $17,995 model at a press introduction (one supposes that the bikes were checked earlier, no?). I wonder if Ducati told him it was an operator problem...

motonut_1 03-30-2005 05:23 PM

Re: Operator..I need assistance

Apparently, you don't have enough years. Back when I was road racing a Yamaha 350 with a reversed shift linkage (1 up, 5 down), I sufferred a case of brain fade while waiting for the R's to climb enough to make the 5/6 shift. By the time the R's reached the right RPMs, my foot was UNDER the shifter and I back shifted into 4th. The gear broke immediately, locking the rear wheel at about a buck ten. Needless to say my brain was immediately snapped back to attention. Definitely a case of operator error!

Jaysunc13 03-30-2005 06:42 PM

I have almost 10,000 miles on my '02 998 and have never had a problem with my gearbox. It was just a little difficult to find neutral when new. Broken in it's as smooth as silk.

Grum 03-30-2005 09:26 PM

A special congratulatory congratulations to you for First Post - you posted first and didn't even realise it! And your comment was relevant! Well done and welcome to the First Post Club.

longride 03-31-2005 04:19 AM

You have to be mistaken. The FJR is for "discriminating buyers'. They are the ones that pony up 500 to promise to buy a machine they never will see until purchase. And people have the balls to call Harley buyers dumb.

PistolPete 03-31-2005 04:42 AM

I have a year in a 900SS with no problems. Pretty happy with the tranny and clutch overall.

bbtowns 03-31-2005 05:12 AM

As everyone has said, clearly not operator error, but probably more a symptom of the dealer than the brand. I've got an ST4s with 17K miles on it and a dealer that has bent over backwards to make sure warranty took care of the two problems I've had (battery unable to turn over bike, speedometer cable failed). Get ahold of Ducati N. America, there can't be that many people willing to lie to you about the cause of a new tranny locking up being rider error.

Andonyx 03-31-2005 05:18 AM

I know this may sound crazy but could it be as simple as the damn dealer didn't finish prepping the bike for sale, and there wasn't anything but a thin coat of showroom oil in the pan?

I know one guy who had his bike completely seize on him because the dealer forgot to put the full oil in when he bought it.

I assume the clutch in would allow the wheel to spin freely, but I suppose if you seize at high enough RPM, it could crunch something back there good enough to stop even that from working.

I'm just thinking maybe someone should check the oil?

nokneedragin 03-31-2005 05:57 AM

Well, in all fairness, Yama is only instituting the long enforced HD policy of paying for a bike and waiting for delivery. Hey the Japanese manufacturers are allways looking for another idea to steal, right?