Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
TEvo
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati gearbox problem?

No, the 620 & 800's and all 2005 ST models use wet clutches.

More info on the APTC clutch used on this model:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-m...s/monster-s2r/
`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Never lost a tranny but I've had a Duck eat a valve before.

Word of mouth is by far the most important factor in new sales. Word of mouth trumps any other sort of advertising. Even if it were operator error the dealer would be smart to fix it under warranty anyhow. One story like this can lose a manufacturer dozens of sales.

(sarcasm)

I know I'm gonna be running to Ducati for a new bike first thing now! How reassuring!

(sarcasm off)
Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

How could this be operator error? I and my ilk routinely abuse trannies in a large variety of bikes (never a S2r tho) with clutchless shifting, wheelies, race starts and high rev downshifts and while we've fried a few clutches and bounced a few engines off the rev limiter once too often at least I have never fried a tranny even when I should have. This seems obviously a case of a defective unit and your friend should contact the Ducati regional rep directly if he or she is getting no love from the dealer.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

Sounds like your homey has a dealer that knows his techs can't get it done for the Duc NA reimbursement schedule....hmmmmm. Yup, I'd be all over the zone rep or whatever they call it nowadays.

The instant the warrenty is up, Homey outta do what most Duc fans around here do - get themselves to the local independent Duc shop.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
paul
Founding Member

Your friend should raise a stink. Write letters to Ducati NA, threaten to call the attorney general, the local news, etc.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Operator..I need assistance

Never, in all my years have I had a transmission "lock-up" and seize the rear wheel. What happened when the clutch was pulled in? I mean jeez, take a look at the modern motorcycle transmission. Pretty indestructible.

It would take some morbid failure like the main/lay shaft snapping (or a gear breaking and getting stuck in the primary) to stop the rear wheel from turning.

Operator problems bah. Sounds like defective equipment, no more, no less.

Next they'll be telling you the mess boys ate the strawberries.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
giuliom
Registered Member

Well, it could be something as simple as a circlip/washer not properly positioned or defective. That would allow one of the gears to engage what's not supposed to engage. Interestingly, I have read recently an article in one of the mags in which a Ducati tester (at a track) said that his bike had a total tranny failure because of a circlip on one of the traany shafts. Of course at the track another bike appeared magically. I will look for that one article, because i was surprised at the failure.

giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well, every try splitting the cases on an R1?

The shop manual comes with a bottle of excedrin blister-packed on the front. Yamaha workers also like to sharpen the case halfs to a razors edge. I've seen people shave with them.

Nothing like sticking bleeding hands into the parts washer.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #19
83XLH1000
Registered Member

I had my ST2 lock up the tranny once upon a time. Same kind of thing except that it got stuck in 2nd gear. No moving the shift lever. Had to ride it ~60 miles in 2nd gear from 287 in White Plains NY to exit 131 on the Garden State Parkway. Turned out that a small (very small) piece of metal got jammed in between the shift drum and its seat in the side of the case (that's what the explanation was, anyway). The metal was apparently a piece of the case or some other casting that was not cleaned up properly before the engine was assembled. Ducati, to their credit, fixed the problem (3 months out of warranty) for a minimal charge. No fun.
83XLH1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Perhaps that's why those wonderful motorcycles from Japan have such crappy resale value. They aren't worth fixing if something breaks.

My friend has 20,000 miles on his FJR and the tranny totally grenaded. Three gears-poof.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote