Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 06-24-2004, 03:37 AM   #21
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: New Iron Butt record set on Duc Multistrada

This is not record set on a Duc, this is record set on a Rich's Custom Saddle. I think there should be a special class for bone stock Ducs. You could easily recognize the comptetitors by their sumo wrestler walking style.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 AM   #22
anrajala
Founding Member

He also nearly missed Darwin Awards

- curiz-euro
Old 06-24-2004, 04:57 AM   #23
mile_eater
Founding Member

Nothing in the Iron Butt rules says anything about stock bikes. Outfitting your ride is part of it.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:30 AM   #24
basel1120
Founding Member

Default Re: Three Cheers for Rich...

Excellent news about the seat from Rich's Custom Saddles. Those of us around Seattle have known Rich and about Rich's work for years. (I have his saddles on three bikes.) Unfortunately, this probably means getting one of his seats will be even more expensive and time consuming than is already the case.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #25
kdurrell
Founding Member

Specifically there should be a class for the Hailwood, (MH900e?). That thing appears to be the mother of all torture racks, although I'd still like to ride it once or twice...
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #26
kowalke67
Founding Member

This whole story is a lie. There is no way this slow, ugly, uncomfortable, overpriced, outdated technology, ugly (er...wait, I already said ugly, guess it's so ugly I had to say it twice) motorcycle accomplished this incredible feat.

Everyone knows a Ducati can't make it out of the driveway without needing a valve adjustment. Everyone knows they are so ugly hapless pedestrians turn to stone at just single glance like Medusa herself rode past.

It's...it's...to much to comprehend...world spinning out of control...time rushing past me...must go touch a Honda...nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #27
kowalke67
Founding Member

Right, God knows it's the seat that makes or breaks a motorcycle being able to make it nearly 6000 miles across North America. Hell, I hear Iron Butt is going to change the rules and eliminate the suspension, frame, and engine all together and just drag the competitors with a rope on a custom seat behind a pickup truck next year.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #28
anrajala
Founding Member

You are right, kowalk. Its not the saddle, its the bike. No other bike could possibly go 6000 miles without breaking down.

Since "Iron Butt" is all about the durability of the bike it should be called "Iron Bike With a Custom Seat".

- cruiz-euro
Old 06-25-2004, 10:53 AM   #29
vfryellowboy
Registered Member

I know I know, you've been told as I always heard that Duc's are made to be passed and they sit at the dealership waiting fore a valve adjustment. I rode Honda for 23 years knowing I couldn't afford Duc parts much less their monthly payments. But after burning up a VFR800FI with 29,000mi and 2 dozen track days I wanted a head turning blacktop burning SOB with some attitude. My ST4S has ridden to Daytona in March from Balto, been a daily commuter in all weather and just came back from Charleston SC at high speed. Is it a Honda with smooth everything, no. It's a Ducati baby. I love it. $550 for the 6,000 mile check up and 2 shims needed adjustment. It wheelies in 2nd gear fully loaded and rumbles at 4,100rpm at 95mph in 6th. Gotta love it.

The typical non-rider question is what do you ride--- a Harley? Response- No, a Ducati. Question mark all over their face. Never got that on a Honda. Cheers.

BTW- A ducati with carbon fibre pipes and open clutch never get a stone glance when they ride by--people wonder what the hell was that .....
vfryellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:02 PM   #30
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Just to poke another hole in the fabric of the ducati myth, Gary also put 100k miles on his ST4 in about 2 years while competeing in various rallys.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote