Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati NA Announces New Financing Program

Just what I need: more temptation!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
imported_Chris_S
Founding Member

What happens when these newly eligible buyers have to pay for service? Are they going to offer similar terms for valve adjustments?
imported_Chris_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati Valves

I think a major obstacle to new Ducati buyers is the cost of valve adjustments. But that problem lies with the dealers, not Ducati. Senior Ducati management has complained to the dealers, but with no response.

A decent Ducati mechanic needs about two hours to adjust the valves on the two valve per head engines. But dealers routinely gouge the purchaser by charging $500 to adjust the two valve head. I know Ducati mechanics are wizards, but $250 an hour?

My recommendation is to get the dealer to agree to a reasonable valve adjustment price, like $200. Then, once out of warranty, learn to do it yourself. I took another option. I was so pi**ed off that I did not buy the Ducati I wanted. I bought a BMW.

I love the bikes and the sound of the desmo valve train. But the price of service for someone who rides as much as I do is ridiculous.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
kowalke67
Founding Member

Best way to get rid of temptation is to give in

Also, check www.peoplefirst.com (it's actually CapitalOne but the link given will redirect you). Rates are the lowest I've seen if Ducati isn't offering what you want on the model you like.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Valves

well said. Ducati may pride itself on design, but a major part of design is ease of maintanence. We don't tolerate this crap from anyone else... why do we tolerate it from Duc?
Old 06-22-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
thefirstnoel
Founding Member

I’m with you guys on this. I had to ride 150 miles to a guy on Sunday morning to do the valves on my Ducati. He charged 55.00 bucks an hour and that worked out to about 150 – 200 for valves fluids and the rest of a full service. This Ducati man also let me know what valves needed adjusting if any. I went 10K between services and only one valve moved out of tolerance. Desmo valves do not move much after the brake in period. At least that has been my experience. I ride a 2001 Aprilia Falco and now the Ducati magic is almost all faded away. Nice to look at still…
thefirstnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:03 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It certainly doesn't make it any easier for those of us selling used Ducs now does it?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:15 AM   #8
SRMark
Founding Member

Incentives are usually used to move product when inventories get to high. So what is the matter at Ducati? Too much production, not enough demand? Has competition stolen market share and is Ducati moving to regain long term profits through short term incentives? Are the new ugly bikes not working out? I always like to try to figure out what is going on with every move like this. What a boring old fart I have become.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:00 AM   #9
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Are the new ugly bikes not working out?

From the look of the floor at the local Duc dealer I'd have to say that the new 999 style isn't selling very well. The styling and the price add up to slow sales. Pierfrancesco Chili is my hero. My age and riding a couple year old bike to the podium. Says he hates the new 999 and wants to give it back to Ducati.

800 Monsters and Supersports are sold out. By far the best value in the Ducati line up. That 800 motor pulls like the old 900.

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 AM   #10
jtyyy
Founding Member

You sound like you're right on target, Honda and Yamaha have been advertising like nuts as well with financing, cash back, and incentives for buying accessories. It sounds like these companies haven't met sales quotas for the summer and are trying anything they can to meet their numbers by initiating incentive programs in the middle of their hottest season. It sounds like a great time to buy new.

Despite the fact that we think the world revolves around motorcycles, it actually revolves around economics.
jtyyy is offline   Reply With Quote