Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 06-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #21
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati NA Announces New Financing Program

Interesting, it sounds like they are selling fine (maybe not the 666, or multiugly) and have increased the HD style sales (espresso machines, wine glasses and pizza boxes I guess). So this sounds like they want to churn up the showroom floor to get rid of old bikes, and make room for the new.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2004, 07:12 AM   #22
sarnali
Founding Member

Well I guess you'll just have to keep it,

It's against the rules to sell a Ducati anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:17 AM   #23
sarnali
Founding Member

How about that, Triumph sells every bike they make, and have backorders on R3's and Thruxton's.

Maybe the new classic line will pull some bucks Ducatis way, all they need to do is knock 2 or 3 grand off the price.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:47 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Really? An old Jawa? That's quite an offer!

I'm sure the Jawa dealer network is quite strong. They stock them right alongside Sachs, Pentons, and Bultacos.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:09 AM   #25
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Valves

Yes, four hours does seem excessive. Maybe there's some gouging going on with the time charges as well, but the salesman's point was that it was an unexpectedly complex and time-consuming task, and they were surprised by how difficult it was. I'm not sure if he realized that he was confirming one of my most significant reservations about buying a Ducati with this tale -- that maintenance and repair costs would be high. Adding the $700-$800 of putting a decent seat to the $1,000 or so for hard bags to the already-stretching-it $11,500 price tag for the bike put an end to any further consideration of buying one.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ford forgot to add that if you don't have a desirable product to begin with, all the branding in the world doesn't help. Harley used the same branding and tactics in the 70's and early 80's, but nobody was buying them then. Why was that? Their product had a reputation of poor quality. He somehow surmised that their "branding" was behind all those recent sales, but Harley changed their product to be what people wanted to buy. Willie G. showing up at every rally for 15 years paid dividends. Without a quality product, branding doesn't work. Buell has a bad rep from early maufacture. Look at how many people on this site rip Buell's for falling apart that never rode one. Unless Harley can change that perception of Buell, they can "brand" till the bank goes dry and not many will buy them.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

No, I had not thought about that...but dang!..you nailed it.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #28
maladg
Registered Member

Dang, you nailed it too! Total pkg needed...superior product and superior marketing.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #29
pdad13
Founding Member

Absolutely right. "Nothing kills a bad product like good advertising." But, Buell was essentially a very small boutique product up until the last few years. And now that it seems that they do have a good product to sell, branding can do a lot of good. After all, you said yourself that Harley has to change the perception of Buell. Branding is all about perception. And branding is is communicated in everything from a logo to your interaction with a salesperson. What does it say about the Buell brand when their salespeople aren't interested in selling them? You've got a brand with a dubious quality reputation. They just introduce a new line of bikes (that the factory has put enormous effort into getting right) and the dealer ain't interested. To me that says a lot without saying a word.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #30
pdad13
Founding Member

Okay, you called my bluff. I don't really have an old Jawa...yet. But I might be able to get my hands on a CZ or a Puch. What about a Chapparal enduro? What do you say?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote