Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 06-23-2004, 05:16 AM   #11
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Valves

Good question. I was looking at a Multistrada and asked about the optional "comfort seat." The dealer told me that in addition to the $300 (or was it $400?) charge for the seat it took four hours (!) of labor to install it. Apparently the gas tank has to be removed to get access to the bolts that hold the seat on. I could remove and remount the seat on my BMW about 100 times in four hours, not to mention the heads are about as easy to access as they could be. I like the look and feel of Ducatis very much, but the questions about the cost of maintenance and repairs really turn me off.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2004, 05:38 AM   #12
iamz
Founding Member

A person of moderate mechanical abilities can easily do their own valve adjustments for almost no cost. The Desmo valves may take twice as long, but if you have to spend one Saturday or a couple of weeknight evenings a year, so what.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:44 AM   #13
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati NA Announces New Financing Program

For your research.

Ducati 1st Q Profits
Old 06-23-2004, 05:47 AM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

All this talk of economics, sales, marketing and inventories makes me wonder: have any of you read Dexter "Party Buffalo" Ford's most interesting article on branding in the current issue of Burns' ex?

Pretty interesting stuff to me. While I'm not a marketing maven, I'm pretty much in agreement that only Hardley Able has motorcycle branding/marketing down pat - with "Bring More Wampum" close behind. Most of the other bike companies seem to never NOT be running heavy duty incentives. This can't be good for the long term health of the business.

Sure wish the others would get this figgerd out...I'd hate to see any more makers go toes up.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:50 AM   #15
maladg
Registered Member

Joe & Mike (ex Zen, ex Roswell Honda/BMW, ex Buzz Psycle, etc.) told me there was a new independent Ducati shop up Marietta way. Was started by frustrated Ducati fans. Sorry, no other info available. Call Joe at WOW for more info.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:51 AM   #16
bikervince
Founding Member

So it takes 4 HOURS to remove/reinstall the gas tank?!? Holy cow! Remind me never to buy a Ducati. And I thought Japanese motorcycle maintainence was a PITA.
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:14 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I did read it and it was very well done.

You'll notice Arm Chaps has also branded itself quite well and rarely offers incentives for new Arm Chap purchases.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:34 AM   #19
pdad13
Founding Member

Bingo. I did; it was excellent. In fact I mentioned it on the Suzuki Boulevard thread (what a mistake that is). I am in the advertising/branding business and can tell you that Ford's analysis illustrates the way any smart company thinks of their brand. Many European companies only go halfway. The Japanese, although seemingly sophisticated marketers, don't really get it, either.

Wonder if you thought of the interesting contradiction between the brilliant way H-D has nurtured their brand and yet almost completely botched the Buell brand. Ford didn't mention this but I thought it was an interesting comparison. (They've tried to implement some of the same tactics used to build the H-D brand, but then they go shoot themselves in the foot with an indifferent dealer network, among other blunders. Those two brands don't belong in the same building together. But, the jury is still out on Buell. We'll see.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #20
pdad13
Founding Member

Hey, Buz,

I'll give you $3,500 for that Ducati. And I'll throw in an old Jawa as a trade in.

Or, I'll just have to go finance a new one for, yikes, 60 months! I remember when I coudn't imagine financing a car for 60 months!

People, If you have to finance a new Ducati for 60 months, head to the SuzukiYamahaHondaKawasaki dealer. That's where you belong.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote