Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 04-23-2004, 05:08 AM   #51
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Front wheels last a long time

I think part of the reason (other than hooligan riding style) is the incredibly short gearing. This thing is geared so short I can cruise through city streets in 6th gear.

Paul at GP motorcycles in San Diego said if he owned one, he would change the sprocket and gear it a little taller.

Apparently Ducatis have Bonneville gearing and MV Agustas come with hillclimb gearing.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2004, 05:08 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

25mpg? Hahaha. I beat you. I used to get 23 on my '71 Yammer R5. Nyah nyah nyah.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:36 AM   #53
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I guess Japanese bikes are superior in every way then!

When I was in TN last week I saw an absolute cherry Yamaha RD350 parked in front of a local tavern in Nashville. I practically wanted to hunt down the owner and make an offer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:43 AM   #54
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Confirms Interest in Moto Guzzi

I rode on those streetcars, and went to Miramonte grammer school. My grandfather owned a little grocery store on Florence Ave, just around the corner from the school. We fled in 1958. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:46 AM   #55
acecycleins
Founding Member

Guzzi may not have to be in a money losing position to be put on the block. R&D may be the biggest problem. Aprilia may want to focus R&D in the main brand not the secondary brand. Ducati, on the other hand, has made great stides in R&D over the last decade and has the money to improve on a proven design. Still makes sense to me.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:48 AM   #56
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Yeah, but back then $90 was real money. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:02 AM   #57
acecycleins
Founding Member

No way will they shut down the performance bikes. Guzzi builds these bikes in the same vane BMW builds performance bikes. It's not about "flat out" haulin' ass machines. It's about "gentlemen's" performance. They are still aiming these bikes at the 35+ crowd. Not the 20+ crowd. Now, you may scoff at the age range but remember, the 20+ crowd today is making more money now than I made at the age of 30. It's all about the style. Guys that are in my age range may like the look and feel of the Duc but they really don't want to be like sheep. They prefer the individual styling of the Guzzi and the fact that there may only be 10-20 guys in their city riding what they have rather than 40-50 guys on a Duc.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #58
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default in my opinion ...

moto guzzi is just a counterbalancer away from being a truly great bike. there are several models that could easily find their way to my garage, bucks allowing.

c'mon, ducati ... give us an italian alternative to BMW. teutonic practicality with a dash of latin style. gotta love it.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:36 AM   #59
pdad13
Founding Member

Okay, it's confirmed. You guys are way older than me.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #60
SRMark
Founding Member

My thoughts exactly!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote