Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 03-19-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits........Or Not

It's hard to sell ugly bikes.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2004, 02:24 AM   #2
Thig
Founding Member

I don't think it is as much about looks as it is price. For less money you can get better performance from any of the four Japanese companies. That being said, I would still love to have a Ducati.
Thig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:38 AM   #3
jfgilbert
Founding Member

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

Weak dollar, generally weak economy in Europe and heavy marketing investment, such as race teams and free services, are more likely to be the causes.

I hope they stick around for a long time, because it would be really sad if our choices were limited to copies of racers, copies of 70's standards, or copies of 20's cruisers.
jfgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:00 AM   #4
redlmtt
Founding Member

No question the current crop of Ducatis are at best challenging. The relative performance levels aren't all that different.

A Multistrada may be a "Good Concept" (though I don't see what's so radical about it besides having a hard seat) but did it have to be so ugly?
redlmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:38 AM   #5
bsteff
Founding Member

I like the Ducs, but the price is way out of line.

BMW can get away with ridiculously high prices (maybe), but Ducati can't. I used to drive a BMW car, but I drive a Toyota now and I don't plan to change. (I also won't buy a Lexus, even though I can afford one.) I like to get value for my money. As long as the Japanese makers, and maybe even Korean and others in the future, deliver dependable nice bikes for a fair price, they will have my business. For background, I am a 55 year old man, settled in life with grown kids, and I can afford whatever I want, including a Harley. Harley doesn't provide enough value for the price either. I also do a lot of my own wrenching. I don't mind working with my hands, but Japanese bikes don't need a lot of coddling like others do. BMW cars are supposed to high on the dependality scale, but my BMW car was constantly needing repairs or adjustments so that was my first, and last, BMW. I loved the BMW performance and fun, but the car's lack of dependability wasn't worth it, even if the price had been cut in half. The Japanese makers have my car, truck, outboard motor and motorcycle business until they stop making dependable, well-engineered, products, including motorcycles, at a fair price.
bsteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:41 AM   #6
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

For the price of a 999R, you can have any of the following

1) an R1, ZX-10R, and GSXR-1000, and they all look better, and perform as well if not better

2) a very nice car or pickup

3) a very nice boat, and a new bike

It doesn't look to good for Ducati from here

SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:47 AM   #7
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Ducati's Future

Face it, Ducati is going to have to find a way to make their (lower &/or mid spec) bikes more price competetive with Japanese machinery. Otherwise, I see them going the way of the dodo. The lust for Italian style and traditions just isn't enough to keep them alive. My excuse for buying a Duc is the same reason I would never buy a HD; I can buy 2 Jap bikes of the same (or better) caliber for the same $$$.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:53 AM   #8
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Don't forget reliability...

Bike magazine has a horrid track record with ducatis, almost every one they test has electrical gremlins.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
ewok1
Founding Member

it seems to me they have a positive cash flow. the loss can easily be explained i think by depreciation and currency losses. it's probably more accurate to observe that their margins got squeezed by a weak us dollar.

i don't see ducati as in any trouble.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:25 AM   #10
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Actually, I think Aprilia is the bigger threat...

Aprilia is cheaper, has a nice style of their own, is italian, is much more comfortable, is much more reliable, etc...

Not to mention, some of the current Ducs are real honkers: The multistrada is grossly uncomfortable (in a style which is supposed to be supremely comfortable), the 749/999 is a love it or shove it sytle, etc.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote