Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 AM   #33
nosajwols
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits........Or Not

Here is my 2 cents (if it is worth that much). If Harley and Ferrari can survive then Ducati should be able to. They need to rethink the market position and the styling of the bikes. What I think Ducati should do to stay/get in the black:

1) Style, Style, Style. They need to rethink the current line of bikes. Monster is great but the styling is getting old. SS looks like the head of the monster in Alien(s). 999 well it is no 916, that s for sure, they should have evolved the 916 design not create a new one. Multistrada is selling well, but it is stupid looking. STs are way too bland. Hire a new designer (or an old one back) and get their act together. Styling is their strongest sales tool.

2) Bring out a MotoGP like bike (maybe the 4 with the original dual firing order). Make the bike the fastest production motorcycle in the world, sell it for 50K US, limited production. The idea is the press and lust this bike will get. It will increase the sales of the cheaper bikes (prestige to the mark).

3) Leverage the T-Shirt sales better like Harley and Ferrari. This is pretty much free money.

4) They need a serious multi bike effort in AMA, this is what US buyers will follow....

What they should not do:

1) Try to produce a bunch of cheap bikes for everyone. They cannot compete with Asia on this and they will lose the prestige of the name Ducati.

2) Keep going with the ugly bikes. They need to admit they were wrong and roll some heads.

3) Try to roll out bikes in too many market segments (please not another Indiana!).

4) Make bikes that are just not fast enough in this crazy HP world. Ducati's being left behind at street lights does not sell bikes! They need to take a serious look at uping the performance. People will pay a lot more money for a little more performance than the next guy (just look at car sales).
nosajwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #37
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits........Or Not

Ducatis have never been much of a price/performance value against the Japanese bikes.....but people were willing to pay for exotica and stunning good looks.

Now Japanese bikes have trick GP-derived parts and look better too.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #38
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Apparently the Manufacturers

Then why all the hubbub over racing?

Do you get all dizzy with, you know, the universe revolving around you so?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #39
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: R1 looks better than a 999!!!!

OK, I am one of those who thinks the new 999 is actually an attractive bike (albeit not up to the aesthetic standard of the 916 series -- what is?), but I have to agree about the R1. Short of (possibly) something like an MV Agusta or some similar exotic, the R1 is more Italian in style than anything currently out of Italy, and is far more beautiful than anything out of Japan!

That is the one bike that could make me consider chosing an inline 4 over a twin LOL
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #40
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't forget reliability...

Considering that none of the many Ducati owners I know have had such problems (electrical gremlins), it sounds to me like Bike magazine must be jinxed, or are incompetent mechanics.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote