Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 03-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #31
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Apparently the Manufacturers

Then why all the hubbub over racing?

Do you get all dizzy with, you know, the universe revolving around you so?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #32
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: R1 looks better than a 999!!!!

OK, I am one of those who thinks the new 999 is actually an attractive bike (albeit not up to the aesthetic standard of the 916 series -- what is?), but I have to agree about the R1. Short of (possibly) something like an MV Agusta or some similar exotic, the R1 is more Italian in style than anything currently out of Italy, and is far more beautiful than anything out of Japan!

That is the one bike that could make me consider chosing an inline 4 over a twin LOL
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #33
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't forget reliability...

Considering that none of the many Ducati owners I know have had such problems (electrical gremlins), it sounds to me like Bike magazine must be jinxed, or are incompetent mechanics.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Apparently the Manufacturers

Only a minority of riders make their purchases based upon who won the whatever racing series last year or whenever.

Find someone else to swap insults with.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #35
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits........Or Not

>it would be really sad if our choices were limited to copies of racers, copies of 70's standards, or copies of 20's cruisers.<

And which of these, my friend, is the Honda Rune?
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #36
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Performance Numbers and Reasoning are not why you pay more for a Duc

I totally agree. Price/performance is important to most people, but not to everyone, which is why BMW and Ducati (and Porsche and Ferrari) have stayed in business.

BMW expects customers to pay extra for reliability and ruggedness regardless of how the bikes look. They have a loyal following of riders willing to do so.

Ducati expects customers to pay extra for dramatic good looks. People were willing to do so for the 916 and Monster, but not for the 999 and MS.

Pretty bikes and naked bikes from other manufacturers haven't helped Ducati either.

Aprilia has never found the following that Ducati enjoys, I think due to the same problem that Ducati faces now: they're bikes aren't a good value and they don't have a style that speaks passionately to enough people to justify higher prices.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #37
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually, I think Aprilia is the bigger threat...

I believe the Aprilias are quite a bit quicker, too.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:54 AM   #38
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle world needs Ducati

>Given $25,000 to spend on a motorcycle how many sport bike riders would chose anything but the 999S.<

I'll take an ZX-10 and $14k any day. Or just the ZX-10.

...or R1, or Gixxer, or CBRR.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:58 AM   #39
Woody650
Founding Member

You're spot on.

The current designer just doesn't "get" Ducati. He tries to make Ducs more functional, yet that's not what the market wants from Ducati. If we wanted functional we'd buy Hondas or BMWs.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #40
ValkBandit
Founding Member

wow, i sure don't think ducatis are ugly. quite the contrary. of course i'm old and i really dislike the speed-racer graphics on most japanese-built, two-wheeled zippo lighters.

the thing that turns me off regarding ducs is the alice-in-wonderland valve arrangement, which has got to be a nightmare to maintain. that and lingering concerns regarding reliability and longevity.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote