Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 03-22-2004, 08:24 AM   #101
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: They'll never get it

>Cheap booze gets you just as drunk as good

>booze, right?

Dunno about cheap booze. When I was an exhange student in the US we used to drink only reputable high quality beverages such as "Mad Dog".

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2004, 09:33 AM   #102
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle world needs Ducati

EbonFlame that was my point and we probably think the same about Ducati.

It's a great time to be in the sport bike market from any of the Big 6 (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia and Ducati) plus a number of other smaller companies; Triumph as such fills a niche market. Even though Ducati has a small number in the over all motorcycle sales it is a leader in technology and emerging market trends.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #103
ZED_EX_HEAVEN
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits........Or Not

I'd love to have a Ducati in my garage. But for the time being, given my budget, I'll settle for my ZX 11. An excellent value for a has-been fastest production bike. I agree with your comment about Jap bikes becoming instantly obselete when the next version comes out. This is proven by my cheap hyperbike. I tend to learn things the hard way, so buying a Honda F4 was a good example of your point, as the F4i came out before I even got a chance to really put the kilometers on it.

Well said Old Baldy.

ZED
ZED_EX_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #104
96sp
Registered Member

It is still amazing to me anyone actually likes the styling of the 999 line.. It is so out of balance it actually hurts to look at it! But I am sure it will look fantastic in the bed of your Chevy Avalanche to all you that bought them..
96sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #105
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: They'll never get it

That and sloe gin will get you plenty drunk.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:43 PM   #106
kowalke67
Founding Member

Let's get something straight. Ducati's are not ugly and they do not under perform.

Ugly? Bite your tongue and bite it 'til it bleeds if you own a Japanese bike and you called a Ducati ugly. Japanese bikes look like peas in a can. Can't tell one from the other. Let's you and I ride our respective bikes through town, me on my Ducati and you on your pea and let's see who gets the looks. I'll even wear a full-face helmet to make it fair. Hell, IÂ’ll even ride the Multistrada. The ladies don't care that your pea has 150 hp. While your boring the bettyÂ’s with the dyno chart stats I'll be telling them to line up single file while they wait for their turn to ride.

Under perform? Bee ess. Ducati's MO is handling. It's smooth even power bands. Does anyone see the numbers in these bike comparisons?!?! We're talking fractions of a second. Your pea is fast and my Duc is slow because it made it from 0 to hero .6 seconds faster? It’s always about the 999 though with you Ducati haters. Guess what, they make a whole line of bikes not just the 999. There is not a sport touring bike on the market that handles better than the Duc ST’s (remember, the ST’s were built for the sport part of sport touring). And now the ‘04’s can go the distance as well. While your adjusting your electric windscreen I’ll be enjoying the curves. There is not a standard bike on the market that handles or has smoother power than the Multistrada. Read the magazine reviews, they love that thing. I have not read a single poor review on the Multistrada or the ST's which seem to draw the majority of the Duc haters ire. The Monster speaks for itself.

If these Japanese bikes are the bomb then why is it that when I go to the dealership 98% of the used bikes selling at a fraction of their new bike price a year or two after they were purchased are Japanese sport bikes? Out of 20 bikes two or three might be a BMW, Ducati, or Aprilia- combined even. People buy Ducati's and keep them because they are great bikes with loads of style.

Finally, you ever see anyone with a mullet riding a Ducati? Nope. Enough said.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #107
kjam68
Registered Member

Great comments. I have a 999 and love it. The bike pulls hard, even in 6th and whether you like the style is immaterial. People roll down their windows to tell you how kick ass the bike looks. Thats all I need to know. These critics simply have a hard-on for Jap bikes. The sound whiny and all look the same. I have 3 Ducks and wouldn't own anything else.
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:16 PM   #108
SRMark
Founding Member

I have found the 1970 Yamaha R5 to be the equal of any bike ever made in terms of styling. After that year, the paint schemes went to hell. The SR500 was a direct hit in terms of timeless style also, as was the 1969 CB750. It still looks good. When bikes began to get covered in plastic, the Japanese bikes suffered, many from the paint/bold new graphics. The newest litre bikes from Japan look at least as good as a 999 and most of those bikes look better (my eye only?). However, the single cylinder 450 desmo, the 1972 SS750 and the 916 are, IMHO, without equal. I will have one of each in my living room before I die.

As for the ratio of used Japanese bikes vs. euro bikes, the orginal ratio of new bikes sold is probably about the same as the used bikes being offered up. I'll take a deeply discounted Honda of any kind and get many years of trouble free riding pleasure from it. I know because I've done it many times. I've found my BMWs to be more trouble than my Hondas and a bit pricier to maintain.

I do respect your appreciation for riding something different and your fondness of design. Just don't lump everything in the same boat. You may miss something. Still, from the saddle I never seem to think about how any bikes looks. And I have rarely ridden a bike that didn't make me smile.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:22 PM   #109
kowalke67
Founding Member

The 999 is a gorgeous bike. I liked it when I saw it in the mag's and I thought it was beautiful when I saw it in person. Same goes for the Multistrada and ST's. They get your attention. People notice a Japanese sport bike on the road about as much as they notice a manhole cover. I can't tell you how tired I am of people ragging Terblanche's designs. The fact is he has made the most functional Ducati's to date and they still have loads of style. Half these knobs are probably just repeating what they heard someone else say about the Duc's without actually having seen one for real.

Enjoy the hell out of that 999. I'm sure you already are.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #110
kowalke67
Founding Member

Contrary to my ranting I agree with what you say. The main motorcycle manufacturers- Japanese, Italian, German, British, American- have something to offer. Pick what you like and go with it. I own a Suzuki, BMW, and plan to have a Ducati in the garage very soon. I personally am drawn to the European designs. I just had to give some of these crap flinging monkeys back what they were giving out.