Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 10-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
dp5
Founding Member

Default the R plastic is significantly cleaned up

the reason it looks exotic is because ducati smoothed over some of the busy, angular, transformer-bot details of the basic design and took a step (however small) towards the clean, uncluttered lines of ducatis past. i test-rode a 999 a while back and was quite taken with the dynamics. if only i could get past the styling... the 749R just might help me do that and find its place next to the '96 900SP and '99 748 in my garage. maybe.
dp5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
jscribner
Founding Member

Default Still Fugly

Sorry, but the red frame doesn't help. It's still got a bad case of butter face. Everything's good, but 'er face. I'm not a Italian hater by any means, love the new Mille, love the old 916+ etc..
jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 AM   #3
detansinn
Founding Member

Default Re: Why the 749R?

In person, the 749 and 999 are quite pleasing to the eye. The bike doesn't photograph well, because the shape of the bike is so unique. There's no conspiracy. :P Red frames on Ducatis always look especially trick, but in the R's case, the different swingarm and black wheels are a contributing factor.

Mechanically and as an instrument of backroad/racetrack evil, the new bikes are superior in just about every way to their Tamburini-designed predecessors. If you want Massimo's latest and greatest, pick up an MV Agusta.

However, if you really like the 748, there are still plenty of new and heavily discounted machines floating around the dealer network. On the used market, you can pick one up for the price of a brand-new/ current 600 supersport machine.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:28 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Few motorcycles engender as much arguing over their looks than Ducatis. Possibly this is because Ducati has created so many simply gorgeous designs that a disagreeable one is too diappointing.

People expect Ducatis to look great. And Ducati has often delivered on that promise. Some Ducatis simply look "right". Like the old 250 Diana. Or the Early 750 twins.

I guess Italian motorcycles are like Italian women. High maintenance. And high performance. Difficult but incredibly rewarding at times. Who has ever exuded more pure animal passion from the screen than Sophia Loren or Claudia Cardinale? Today's run of Hollywood sex goddesses pale by comparison. Just as today's run of sportbike styling pales by comparison to the Italians. This is why so many motorcycle (and automobile) manufacturers hire Italians to do their styling.

Perhaps it is being surrounded by Italian women that drives the Italian designers to do what they do.

Anyhow, you generally love 'em or ya hate 'em. For some of us ya can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em. Myself, I was looking at a Speed Triple, SV1000 or a XB12R for my next bike. Then that dastardly cur Sean tests an Aprilia Tuono. Damm you Sean. Why'd you do that to me? Now nothing else will to.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
mconlon
Founding Member

Everyone dumps on the current designs by Terreblanche(sp?) as horrible. We should cut the guy some slack. Although everyone remembers Ducati's styling successes---the singles, the 750s and ss, the 900ss, the SuperMono, the 916, et al, everyone seems to forgive and forget their blunders---square styled singles, 860GT, Nevada...

Still, I can't forgive them for what they did to the Super Sport line. The 90s half-faired 900ss is just about one of the most right designs in all of motorcycling...

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Painting the rear subframe black is a great idea. For some reason your eye is caught by the ugly weld and bent tubing of the subframe. It doesn't blend in with the rest of the bike and is an eye-sore. The painted good looking part of the frame and the black ugly section does the trick of bringing out the beauty and hiding the ugly. I've always liked the black wheels as well on Superbike bikes. It makes a strong statement.

To bad you can make a mono into an bi-posto and visa versa on the new superbikes like you could on the 916-> series.
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:43 AM   #7
SRMark
Founding Member

I still think the old 916 style was better. But do really give a rats a$$ what I, or others, think when you buy a bike? When I'm riding, I really don't care what the bike looks like. It all comes down to feel. My bikes usually start and end up in the garage so no one really looks at them but me anyway. If you would like the 749, sell the 748 and get it. Better yet, have 'em both. I suggest the lottery. That 749R is gonna be pricey.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:37 AM   #8
dp5
Founding Member

Default $22K acc. to european cycle website

dp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
Rude374
Registered Member

It is true the details mach such a difference.... hiding the subframe by painting it black, the contrast between the black swingarm and wheels to the body and frame..... Am I imagining or did they eliminate a couple of body seams (1 piece fairing sides instead of 2??) and round some corners also??

Rude374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #10
bmw1959
Founding Member

TERREBLANCHE (sp) is an idiot and will go down in history of the man who bankrupt Ducati. The 749 and 999 have a front end that he designed from inspiration of a 30's steam engine train. Who in their right mind wants that kind of retro styling in a modern sportbike? From the discounts Ducati is offering at their dealers, it is obvious that even loyal Ducatisi won't buy the disgusting things.
bmw1959 is offline   Reply With Quote